PDFIMPORT is Slower Than Watching Paint Dry

Bill Tillman

A few days ago I imported a PDF file into AutoCAD and all went well. Took a few minutes but it got done. Today I'm trying to import another PDF. It's about 12 MB in size. When I start the PDF import the progress bar at the lower right side of the screen starts working, and working, and working. I went to lunch and came back after 1/2 hour and it was not even 1/2 way through. So what exactly can someone do with file of this type. The PDFIMPORT command is a terrific tool but the only way I see it working on this file is to start it working, go home and come back tomorrow and hope that it got finished during the night.

Sadly all PDF content creators are not created equally and many are less than optimal.  For a PDF that size it's liable to contain a fair amount of bloat from poor output.  Take for example this image from a file we received.  Instead of a text character, the single letter "S" contained 471 objects.  Sometimes a PDF contains massively over-scanned (600dpi+) images that should have never been rolled into a PDF to begin with.  A 12mb PDF is huge, so start a second session and try the import and let it run.  In other words it's possible it''s not the import tools fault.

If you post the PDF file at some downloadable location or email it to dotson (at) dotsoft (dot) com I will be able to give you better details (I'm not using the 'desk tool).