Is there a cad program designed for textiles?

okie

23 hours ago, ReMark said:

Maybe this will help you get started. 

https://windowsreport.com/design-software-bags-backpacks/

Is there an industry standard? Like let's say I went to work as an engineer for Osprey. What cad program would I be likely to find there?

Interesting that autocad isn't on that list but solidworks is. Is solidworks really all that different from autocad? I've never used it before. If I'm already pretty good at autocad, is the learning curve for solidworks pretty easy?

Edited by okie

3 hours ago, okie said:

Is there an industry standard? Like let's say I went to work as an engineer for Osprey. What cad program would I be likely to find there?

Interesting that autocad isn't on that list but solidworks is. Is solidworks really all that different from autocad? I've never used it before. If I'm already pretty good at autocad, is the learning curve for solidworks pretty easy?

Autocad doesn't have the ability to unroll or unfold surfaces, so even if you were able to design something like a backpack or a tent, you would not be able to flatten it to create your patterns for prototyping or production. That's why a program like Solidworks is on the list and Autocad is not.

7 hours ago, Cad64 said:

Autocad doesn't have the ability to unroll or unfold surfaces, so even if you were able to design something like a backpack or a tent, you would not be able to flatten it to create your patterns for prototyping or production. That's why a program like Solidworks is on the list and Autocad is not.

How hard is solidworks to learn? I'm pretty decent with autocad.

Or let's just put it this way. If you were in my shoes and wanted to design, say, a hiking pack, what program would you invest your time in learning?

I would invest in a program that meets my specific needs and not in one that meets only some of my needs.  Since many programs offer a 30-day trial you could test a simple design on the ones you are interested in and see just how well they perform.

9 hours ago, okie said:

How hard is solidworks to learn? I'm pretty decent with autocad.

Or let's just put it this way. If you were in my shoes and wanted to design, say, a hiking pack, what program would you invest your time in learning?

Learning a new program is different for everyone. Some people have any easy time while others struggle. A lot of it depends on how much time you spend with the program and how much good training material you have to work with. If you're going to try and learn by watching Youtube videos then you're probably going to have a hard time.

I can't really tell you what specific program to use, since this is not my area of expertise and I don't know what programs a company like Osprey uses, but if I was going to design a hiking pack, I would use Modo, since I'm very familiar with it, and I would follow the type of workflow shown in the video below.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cad64 said:

Learning a new program is different for everyone. Some people have any easy time while others struggle. A lot of it depends on how much time you spend with the program and how much good training material you have to work with. If you're going to try and learn by watching Youtube videos then you're probably going to have a hard time.

I can't really tell you what specific program to use, since this is not my area of expertise and I don't know what programs a company like Osprey uses, but if I was going to design a hiking pack, I would use Modo, since I'm very familiar with it, and I would follow the type of workflow shown in the video below.

Yikes, that is a steep price tag. Any programs with free student versions?

39 minutes ago, okie said:

Yikes, that is a steep price tag. Any programs with free student versions?

Take a look at 3D Studio Max or Maya. You can get access to educational versions through Autodesk: https://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/featured

Modo also has educational licenses available: https://www.foundry.com/education/students

FYI: Of the 3 programs I mentioned, Modo is the easiest to learn and use. 3D Studio Max is more difficult to learn and Maya is the most difficult to learn.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:33 PM, Cad64 said:

Take a look at 3D Studio Max or Maya. You can get access to educational versions through Autodesk: https://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/featured

Modo also has educational licenses available: https://www.foundry.com/education/students

FYI: Of the 3 programs I mentioned, Modo is the easiest to learn and use. 3D Studio Max is more difficult to learn and Maya is the most difficult to learn.

Unfortunately I don't have a student email any longer. Looks like Maya or 3D Studio Max is my only option right now. Of those two, which one is geared more towards what I'm looking for? Both say they're for animation.

Edited by okie

22 minutes ago, okie said:

Unfortunately I don't have a student email any longer. Looks like Maya or 3D Studio Max is my only option right now. Of those two, which one is geared more towards what I'm looking for? Both say they're for animation.

Yes, it says they are for animation but it doesn't mean you "have to" use them for animation. They are both 3D modeling programs that can also do animation if that's something you need.

Both programs can do what you're looking for, but as I mentioned before, they both have pretty steep learning curves, so you're going to need some sort of training. You will either have to buy some books or sign up with an online training site like Pluralsight or Lynda.com.

If I had to choose between one or the other, I would choose 3D Studio Max, but if you have access to the educational versions, you can install both and see which one you like better.