Absolute Dimensioning

Hi all ,

I have been working with dimension in autocad since last few days. I have learnt about the associative dimension which is quite good but when I want to modify the dimension value it gives only option to enter relative value.Is there any way we can enter the absoulte value while modifying the dimension?
I have hundreds of block to be placed at specified dimensions ,so currently it involves lot of calculation and manual effort.
Foreg: Here I want to place the block at X=1032 and  Y= 837 ,although I have made both the dims associative ,I have to enter the relative values (1032-907.0592), (837-758.0500).
It will be quite simple if it is possible to directly enter the absolute values (1032 ,837)  and modifying dimension.
Thanks
image.thumb.png.a7b4ee157a153ae42d5f7a75c561533a.png

Why are you trying to modify the dimension value? If the dimension are associative they should correct themselves when you move the block.

How were the dimensions attached? Can you post an example .dwg?

@SLW210

Hi,
These were the dimensions already putted before the site survey.
But after site survey ,I get the correct placement dimension values  ,so I have to modify the existing dimension values
Here is the attached sample dwg. There are hundreds of such blocks which had to be placed at specified X and Y distance.

Dimensioning_CadTutor.dwg

Thanks for consideration

10 minutes ago, AbdRF said:

@SLW210

Hi,
These were the dimensions already putted before the site survey.
But after site survey ,I get the correct placement dimension values  ,so I have to modify the existing dimension values

No, you have to relocate the blocks and the dimensions should adjust accordingly.

Turn on dynamic input and in the dsettings dialogue box select the 'Dynamic Input' tab and then below 'Enable Pointer Input' click on the settings button. Choose 'Cartesian format' and 'Relative coordinates' then press OK twice to leave the dialogue.

In your drawing highlight your block and start the move command (If the insert point is also the same point used for the dimensions then you only need click on the grip to put you in 'stretch' mode) now type 'from' the prompt will ask you for the base point, click on the lower left corner of your boundary, you wil now be promted for the second point, just enter the two measurements you need using the tab key or comma to separate them.

If that doesn't work then describe what happens, as you might need to change some other settings.

There is a way to do this with a dynamic block as someone mentioned before.

The rest is configuring everything in the block editor

Edited by ammobake

From your drawing the base point referenced is not 0,0, for the dimensions to be the same as the x,y you need the base point of the dimension at 0,0.

Maybe a before and after .dwg would explain if that's not the issue.

21 hours ago, steven-g said:

Turn on dynamic input and in the dsettings dialogue box select the 'Dynamic Input' tab and then below 'Enable Pointer Input' click on the settings button. Choose 'Cartesian format' and 'Relative coordinates' then press OK twice to leave the dialogue.

In your drawing highlight your block and start the move command (If the insert point is also the same point used for the dimensions then you only need click on the grip to put you in 'stretch' mode) now type 'from' the prompt will ask you for the base point, click on the lower left corner of your boundary, you wil now be promted for the second point, just enter the two measurements you need using the tab key or comma to separate them.

If that doesn't work then describe what happens, as you might need to change some other settings.

@steven-g

That is somewhat I think can work in my case.Thanks for your suggestion

17 hours ago, ammobake said:

There is a way to do this with a dynamic block as someone mentioned before.

The rest is configuring everything in the block editor

I am also open to that approach,if you can guide me?

13 hours ago, SLW210 said:

From your drawing the base point referenced is not 0,0, for the dimensions to be the same as the x,y you need the base point of the dimension at 0,0.

Maybe a before and after .dwg would explain if that's not the issue.

Yes you are right ,base point referenced is not origin