A message about CADTutor and COVID-19

CADTutor

Dear CADTutor friends, it seems as though most of us are now working from home after some form of lockdown has been announced in many countries across the world. This note is just to say that CADTutor and the CADTutor Forum will remain up and running throughout the crisis. It's at times like these that communities like this come into their own, to help connect people who may otherwise feel isolated.

If you have any ideas how this forum could help e.g. new forums, additional functionality etc. Please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Stay safe,

David

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, steven-g said:

Thanks David,

It would be great if you could install a coffee machine. I really miss that 🤣

I already have one at home - my wife. She got fed up with me cluttering up the kitchen, so it now gets delivered. :lol:

We have a Keurig (spelling?)...works pretty well and minimizes the mess.  Only two of us since the kids have all moved out so it works out well for us.

23 hours ago, Jack_O'neill said:

We have a Keurig (spelling?)...works pretty well and minimizes the mess.  Only two of us since the kids have all moved out so it works out well for us.

I got the wife a coffee maker that does carafes and k-cups. She still makes a small pot while me and the 14 year old daughter uses the k-cups. Found some Gevalia cappuccion cups that are pretty nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

@CADTutor,

Hi david,

I am following several slack groups/channels with people presenting ideas and solutions to help in the fight against Covid-19.

Today I came across this post where MIT are apparently releasing a design for the production of an emergency ventilator that can be produced for under $500.00. There are also a number of other initiatives for producing face-shields and face-masks etc.

One thing that is very clear is that there are thousands of armchair doctors and inventors out there who are completely out of touch with reality, people rushing out to hospitals to deliver hundreds of home-made face-masks (kitchen roll paper squares with rubber bands tied to the corners) which would be funny if it wasn't also true.

But here at CADTutor we have our own blend of crackpots and mad scientists. And I'm sure they could get together and have fun with this. Is it a lot of work to set up a dedicated Forum group that could maybe split into a few sub-headings (ventilator, mask, shield) and maybe split again into software categories or components ventilator-mech, ventilator-elec, etc.

It would obviously need some thought first, and would more than likely prove to be as useful as a chocolate fireguard to the medical community. But with basic ground-rules like no using copyrighted material, and anything shared on the forum is open source and free to use by anyone.

Then it could be at the very least interesting for some people, possibly the 3D print people among us. And I would think a great learning experience if people could share designs and techniques they use in Inventor, Solidworks, Fusion 360 to name but a few.

• Like 1

Hi @steven-g nice idea! And it provides an opportunity to test out a new function on the forums - Clubs. If you look at the navigation bar above, you should see the item "Clubs" on the left-hand end. Click on that and then click the green button to "Start a Club". A club is effectively a forum for a special interest group and the club owner (you) has control over it.

I've not tried it before, so this would be a test run but I believe it's ideal for this type of project. Let me know if you need any help.

• Like 1

I like the idea, started a new club (face mask relief clip), which needs approving, it will be interesting to see how it all works for entering content.

@CADTutor OK, started a club , it's approved, what do you do now? Is there any information on how these clubs work, I can't seem to do anything other than create a club, can you add posts? or content somehow. I imagine this is a feature of the forum software, are there any good examples of this being used anywhere?

On 3/26/2020 at 8:41 PM, CADTutor said:

If you have any ideas how this forum could help e.g. new forums, additional functionality etc. Please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Stay safe,

David

hi David & guys, just curious how does cadtutor (Invision system) evaluate forum posters?

i mean the 'badge' title. would it be helpful to pin full list at the main board?

like:

Beverage operator

Rising star

Associate

Forum senior

Cad guru

etc..

my concern is: i notice few active members who have >5 years with >1.5K posts, but why still category as newbie?

It's not fair to them, perhaps this reason they became less active in the forum?

even the most active poster (>20 posts/day, sorry not mention his name 'R' ) but now almost inactive? i think maybe he has retired?

For those 10K 20K more++ >10 years posters, many years they have been volunteering, sharing, their contributions are always honored!

i remember my first post in Cadtutor, Lee Mac was the 1st person commented my post, my first impression was WOW!! Quantum Mechanic under his avatar, impressive!!

This can be one of the reasons / influences / motivations for me to keep supporting this site :) 

but current badge is just a bit confusing.. what do you think?

about COVID-19...

Try word puzzle make 5 blocks with these letters (note: "_" underscore=space)

"C_R"

"A__I"

"V_R"

"O_O"

"N______US"

example: "CARNIVOROUS"

another word is "?????? V????"

hint: pandemic

Be safe!

regards

Edited by hanhphuc

@steven-g Here's some information: https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/managing-your-community/using-clubs-r306/

I believe you need to click the button Manage Club > Add Club Feature, then (for example) select Topics to add that tab to the club nav bar. That should provide a space for club members to create forum-like topics.

@hanhphuc The ranks are by number of posts and not length of time. I guess that means "New Member" doesn't always make sense if members post infrequently. But good Ides - I'll post the ranks so everyone can see what they are.

• Thanks 1

@CADTutor It looks like it might need tweaking somewhere, the only option available when I click on the 'manage club' button is 'Edit Club Settings' which only allows for changing the club name, description or image. Nothing shows up for adding content?

On 4/13/2020 at 3:21 AM, CADTutor said:

@hanhphuc The ranks are by number of posts and not length of time. I guess that means "New Member" doesn't always make sense if members post infrequently. But good Ides - I'll post the ranks so everyone can see what they are.

yes, thanks! you got the point!! newbie normally is first joined member :)

another is look at user profile under avatar, we can choose software use only Autocad & version but none for others?

if user put both nothing it shows.

Not applicable Not applicable

so my $0.02 is either let it blank or manually input by user? 🤔

thanks

• 1 month later...

@CADTutor & friends just say hi

it's been a while since the hard times, pandemic is getting over soon :)

Hope everybody fine!

Just see any updates: 

1. ranking system error?

1686 posts = newbie?

1650 posts = forum senior?

1148921805_newbievsforumsenior.png.3ebe05eb8fd2682e02f5d78b1e290ba4.png

2. another - how to remove duplicates (changelog files)

Just $0.02 opinions for improvements at this site

stay healthy ! cheers 🍻