At least 2 solids or coplanar regions must be selected.

Berzerker

Ok I'm trying to learn 3D. I've got down subtraction pretty good but when I try to join two solids I get the error "At least 2 solids or coplanar regions must be selected". I extruded them so they are a solid. They are a bunch of shapes I want to turn into one object, 8 total (I think). I've been all over the internet and tried what I thought they said to do but it doesn't work.

I'm new so when explaining try to put in words a newbie can understand Thanks.

Edit: When I try to use things like SURFPATCH and so forth it says "unknown command"

Edited by Berzerker

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Berzerker

• Cad64

• steven-g

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Berzerker said:

Ok I'm trying to learn 3D. I've got down subtraction pretty good but when I try to join two solids I get the error "At least 2 solids or coplanar regions must be selected". I extruded them so they are a solid. They are a bunch of shapes I want to turn into one object, 8 total (I think). I've been all over the internet and tried what I thought they said to do but it doesn't work.

I'm new so when explaining try to put in words a newbie can understand Thanks.

Edit: When I try to use things like SURFPATCH and so forth it says "unknown command"

What command are you using when you try to "join" the objects? If you want to combine objects together you should be using the UNION command. As a test, I just tried to combine two solids that were not touching each other and the UNION command still worked, with no error message, even though there is a gap between the two objects. So I'm not sure what command you're using that's giving you that error message?

Also, just because you extruded your 2D linework, that doesn't mean you created a solid. If you extrude a single line or polyline, that will create a surface, not a solid.

As mentioned, if you can provide your dwg file, we can take a look.

FYI: SURFPATCH won't work on Solids. It's a surface creation command, and it's only available in version 2016 and up. So if you're using an earlier version, that would explain the "Unknown Command" error message.

It turned out to be 19 pieces. It's a cover for a home project I'm working on and will be printed on a 3D printer. Yes I'm still using 2007, wish I could afford a newer version. Win 10 64 bit Is my computer. Yes, I was using the union command. The extruding an object and it not making it a solid makes sense. So I tried the convert to solid command and it didn't work either or at least not for me.

Cover1.dwg

There are no solids in your drawing just regions and surfaces, and your regions aren't coplanar  you are going to need to convert your drawing into solids, But I'll leave that to the big boys to help you. I only have LT so no experience with solids

Thanks steven-g. Yeah got a 3D printer to do this project and I've dreaded this for awhile. I'm OK on 2D but I only dittle with it. I have been around AutoCad for awhile and am not a beginner either. But 3D I just never had to tackle till now.  Sure I poked under the hood of 3D and I actually done another file as stated above and the objects joined no problem.

I might have exploded this drawing but I just got back to it and was on the internet all day trying to figure it out on my own.

While I'm asking questions how do you get a certain side of a view to be I guess the way to ask is perpendicular or flat to the front view looking at you?

Let's say: You got a object that's on an angle and you don't know how to 3D rotate it so that side is the flat side facing out on the screen. 

Hope that don't sound as crazy posting it as it does reading it.

To look at a surface use the UCS command then you will be prompted to pick 3 points.

Why not take a look at Fusion 360 it's free for personal use and for companies earning less than 100,000 a year. Plus it has 3D print support built in. It might be a bit easier than working with ancient software and if you are learning it would be worth learning the newest techniques.

I'll go download it now and give it a whirl. I'm kinda partial to AutoCad though. Had a friend that had solidworks didn't like it either. I know the old version aren't as good but they probably built rockets with the program I'm using. So if it can do that, then my little project shouldn't be outta it's reach.

It keeps wanting me to put in educational information. I'm 59 years old I haven't been to school in a long time.

12 minutes ago, Berzerker said:

It keeps wanting me to put in educational information. I'm 59 years old I haven't been to school in a long time.

You may have clicked on the wrong link. Follow the link below and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Get Started" button. You will need to create an account, but after that you should be able to download Fusion 360 for free.

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists

1 hour ago, Berzerker said:

While I'm asking questions how do you get a certain side of a view to be I guess the way to ask is perpendicular or flat to the front view looking at you?

Let's say: You got a object that's on an angle and you don't know how to 3D rotate it so that side is the flat side facing out on the screen.

Use the VIEW command. This will open a dialog where you can choose Front, Left, Top, etc. Select the view you want from the "Views" list, then click the "Set Current" button on the right side of the dialog. Then click OK.

With Fusion 360 (it is Autodesk). Yes they ask you to register and it is a one year 'student' license but when it runs out you can register for another year and then another. This isn't a 'hack' that's how it works officially and how Autodesk keeps you supplied with the latest and best software available, they only ask you to update to the paid version if you are earning more than 100,000 a year from using the software.

And there are some great tutorials out there on youtube, I'm just learning it myself.

@steven-g

I downloaded Fusion 360 the only problem is now I would have to start learning a new program from scratch. I also had a friend that let me poke around in Inventor and I didn't get it either. He said you have to pretty much forget what you learned in AutoCad and learn how Inventor works. When you don't have it on your computer it's kinda hard to learn it.

@Cad64

I know how to swap views. I was asking if it wasn't on one of the standard views front, back, SW Isometric and so forth how to make that view the one facing you?

So If I make a square let's use 2" X 2" and close the polyline then extrude it to 2" It's not a solid?

So I made a test dwg. and done this but when I use convert to solid I get a error "Object cannot be converted." So I'm kinda lost. If an extruded object is not a solid and the convert to solid command doesn't turn it into one, I must be doing something wrong or not understanding exactly what a solid is or how to make one.

So If I make a square let's use 2" X 2" and close the polyline then extrude it to 2" It's not a solid?

So I made a test dwg. and done this but when I use convert to solid I get a error "Object cannot be converted." So I'm kinda lost. If an extruded object is not a solid and the convert to solid command doesn't turn it into one, I must be doing something wrong or not understanding exactly what a solid is or how to make one.

If you draw a closed polyline and extrude it then yes, it is a solid. If you draw the same shape using lines instead of a polyline and try to extrude you will get a bunch of surfaces.

If you try to run the CONVTOSOLID command on an object that is already a Solid you will get the "Object cannot be converted" error.

Solid vs Surfaces.jpg

@Cad64

OK so now I know I did make a solid. Except mine came out with the color gray when it's extruded. I did all the objects in that drawing the same way.

I'm thinking about just creating a solid big enough to make the cover and kinda make cookie cutter insides and outsides and just subtract all what I don't need from it. But now this would require starting almost from scratch.

The sites that talk about the printer say it needs to be what they call "water tight" which I assume would mean the same as a solid. All I've done is some pre-programmed things to get the hang of the printer (Kinda). I'm new to that too so learning the printing and trying my hand at solids  I don't think now would be a good time to throw in Fusion 360.

Edited by Berzerker

I know how to swap views. I was asking if it wasn't on one of the standard views front, back, SW Isometric and so forth how to make that view the one facing you?

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. If you want to create a non standard view, it takes a few steps.

1. Type UCS at the command line and choose the "Face" option.

2. Hover your cursor over the face that you want to have facing you and once you see the outline of the face highlight, click to set your UCS.

3. Type PLAN at the command line and choose "Current UCS".

4. Type VIEW at the command line to open the View Manager and then click the "NEW" button. This will allow you to create a custom view so you can easily come back to it at any time without having to go through all the previous steps again.

Hope that all makes sense?

@Cad64

Yes it does, Makes perfect sense. I remember someone else a long time ago telling me this but it didn't ring a bell again till just now but I didn't remember the steps.

I also don't use 3D that much that's probably why.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Berzerker said:

@Cad64

OK so now I know I did make a solid. Except mine came out with the color gray when it's extruded. I did all the objects in that drawing the same way.

I'm thinking about just creating a solid big enough to make the cover and kinda make cookie cutter insides and outsides and just subtract all what I don't need from it. But now this would require starting almost from scratch.

The sites that talk about the printer say it needs to be what they call "water tight" which I assume would mean the same as a solid. All I've done is some pre-programmed things to get the hang of the printer (Kinda). I'm new to that too so learning the printing and trying my hand at solids  I don't think now would be a good time to throw in Fusion 360.

Yours is gray because your visual style is set to "Shaded". I was working in "2D Wireframe" which is why mine is not gray.

Yes, Watertight means solid. Your current model is made up of Regions and Surfaces, so it is not watertight. If you try to export to .stl for printing, it won't work. You will have to recreate the model as a Solid in order to export it for printing.

@Cad64

1. Type UCS at the command line and choose the "Face" option.

2. Hover your cursor over the face that you want to have facing you and once you see the outline of the face highlight, click to set your UCS.

3. Type PLAN at the command line and choose "Current UCS".

4. Type VIEW at the command line to open the View Manager and then click the "NEW" button. This will allow you to create a custom view so you can easily come back to it at any time without having to go through all the previous steps again. [/quote]

Yeah it's seems I just don't have any luck with any of this and I know I'm not crazy. I started out in AutoCad R12 and No I'm not a engineer or anything But at some point What I type or try should do something and work.

I type UCS in the prompt, hit F for Face and click the surface I want to face me

And here's another error?????....."No solids detected."

I'm scared now I might have messed the drawing settings up some way. I recently had to replace my hard drive and copied all my drawings to a external hard drive and then installed everything.

But that doesn't wrap my mind around why UCS should care if it's a solid or not. If the drawing is corrupt I wouldn't have a clue how to un-corrupt it.

Edited by Berzerker