At least 2 solids or coplanar regions must be selected.

Berzerker

It would be agreat help if you can show exactly what you are trying (including drawing the part) which commands are you using and any other information, something like the images above from @Cad64 or even better a video, for example using chromecast which is designed just for type of thing as it captures all your commands and movements and it's free.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Berzerker

• Cad64

• steven-g

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, steven-g said:

It would be agreat help if you can show exactly what you are trying (including drawing the part) which commands are you using and any other information, something like the images above from @Cad64 or even better a video, for example using chromecast which is designed just for type of thing as it captures all your commands and movements and it's free.

That's exactly what I was just going to say. It's difficult to troubleshoot this sort of thing when we can't see what you're doing. If you could provide images or video, that would really help.

I think I got it @steven-g and @Cad64 I guess I got the UCS outta whack. I typed "plan" at the command and then selected "world". seems to have corrected it.

Just think of what was happening as if Cad64 had went to extrude the pegs in the middle and they went the wrong way.

Hope that cleared it up.

Edited by Berzerker

OK to show you I'm not crazy. Here is a pic of a object I extruded only 1.080" but when I go to check it I get this:

4mrteFw.png

I go to 3d view and I get this:

But I told it to dimension from the endpoint of the corner to the top of the extruded object.

CBUhuGo.png

Edited by Berzerker

1 hour ago, Berzerker said:

I guess I got the UCS outta whack. I typed "plan" at the command and then selected "world". seems to have corrected it.

Yes, you always have to be mindful of the UCS in Autocad. And I keep forgetting that you're using 2007. Newer versions are a little more forgiving.

10 minutes ago, Berzerker said:

But I told it to dimension from the endpoint of the corner to the top of the extruded object.

Autocad places dimensions in the current X,Y plane. If you want to place dimensions on a 3D object, you have to move your UCS and set your X,Y plane on the surface of the part you want to dimension.

In the image below, you can see that I set my UCS on the top face of the block in order to place my dimension.

UCS.jpg

And don't use isometric views, they can be very misleading as you see. Does 2007 have the orbit tool? or at the very least use a split screen with 3 or 4 viewports looking from different views

14 minutes ago, steven-g said:

And don't use isometric views, they can be very misleading as you see. Does 2007 have the orbit tool? or at the very least use a split screen with 3 or 4 viewports looking from different views

I'm pretty sure 2007 can do the split screen.

In Model Space, if you type VIEWPORTS, that should open a dialog that will allow you to split your screen into 2, 3 or 4 viewports.

Viewports.jpg

Yes I have orbit but if confuses me. I've looked at an object before and could have sworn it was backwards from the way I knew it was. still tinkering (looking on the web) about the UCS to find out what I done wrong and how to fix it. I keep trying to do one thing and then something else goes wrong in the drawing. I knew there was a reason why I didn't get into 3D.

3 minutes ago, Berzerker said:

Yes I have orbit but if confuses me. I've looked at an object before and could have sworn it was backwards from the way I knew it was. still tinkering (looking on the web) about the UCS to find out what I done wrong and how to fix it. I keep trying to do one thing and then something else goes wrong in the drawing. I knew there was a reason why I didn't get into 3D.

I can tell you, from my own experience using lots of different 3D programs, that Autocad is one of the more difficult programs to use. And older versions are even more difficult than newer versions. But even after you become proficient with it, it's still cumbersome and difficult to work with. I know we keep talking about Fusion 360, but it is a more modern 3D program, and once you get familiar with it, you'll be able to fly through projects like this with ease.

110% on Fusion 360. It makes you pick a surface to draw on so that you know exactly where you are and it does that by highlighting the surfaces you hover over untill you pick the correct one. Yes it does have a bit of a learning curve but once you have the basics it is so much easier than plain AutoCAD.

• 3 months later...

Got another question

I had found some mistakes in my cover and had to start over and it's took me awhile. As I said I'm not to great at 3D. I made an outside profile (solid) and an inside profile (solid). one to subtract the inside from the outside. Now when I go to move the inside to the outside it picks both of them and I can't move one without moving the other. It's like they're tied together. 

How can I separate them?

Oh and thanks ahead of time

Edited by Berzerker

2 hours ago, Berzerker said:

I made an outside profile (solid) and an inside profile (solid). one to subtract the inside from the outside. Now when I go to move the inside to the outside it picks both of them and I can't move one without moving the other. It's like they're tied together. 

How can I separate them?

It sounds like maybe you ran the UNION command and combined both solids into one object?

Try this:

Use the SOLIDEDIT command

Choose the BODY option

Choose the SEPARATE SOLIDS option

Select one of the solids

Hit Enter twice to exit the command

Thanks Cad64. I don't even know how they got linked. I copied the outside and edited it to fit the inside. It may have been when I was matching properties (Color) is the only thing I can think of. To keep the two apart I changed ones properties to another color.

Worked great

Edited by Berzerker

One more if you don't mind.

My Z axis stopped snapping to the grid. Now I do have different things on different plans. Don't know if this makes a difference. When it moves it's like no snap is selected.

I am working with my grid set to 0.0625 and it works in the X and Y Axis. Even the window in the bottom left that tells you how far you've moved will show any number depending on how far I move.

Thanks

I know this will sound crazy but I also figured something else out. My drawing was on the wrong side of my coordinates (Outside the drawing area). I moved them back to the correct position and now the Z snaps like it's suppose to.