File Size Bloat

Phil @ Peak CAD

Hi all

After doing a lot of edits to complex 3-D solid models (union, subtracts, add's, deletes etc after an indecisive client kept changing their mind), suddenly the file size explodes from 8mb up to 37mb

Tried GC, BREP, PURGE, -PURGE, AUDIT, etc, nothing seems to get rid of what the problem is and gets back to 8mb.

Any ideas?

I've had this happen on AutoCAD 2013, 2017 and MEP 2016 thru 19.

When I run into bloated files, I use WBLOCK to save the entire drawing out to a new file. This strips out all the database junk that's inflating the file size.

Make sure you're in model space with your UCS set to World, then run WBLOCK and select the "Entire Drawing" option.

WBlock - Entire Drawing.jpg

23 minutes ago, Phil @ Peak CAD said:

I'm afraid that didnt work :(

If WBLOCK didn't bring down the file size, that means your drawing file is already clean and there are no issues there. So that means there's something about your model that's causing the file size increase, but without having your model in front of me to check, it's difficult to say what might be causing the increase. But, you did say the model is complex, so maybe 37mb is the correct file size for what you're working on? I've worked on 3D projects in the past where the file size got up close to 400mb, so 37mb really isn't that much unless it's causing Autocad to freeze up or crash.

Can you post some screenshots so we can see what you're working on?

I have seen where using true 3D threaded holes and fasteners can really jump the size up, it is sometimes better to use blocks and/or xrefs on some things. If possible reduce the amount of detail. Lots of times when going in and modifying, if you get things just a tiny amount off, you get extra size from ever so slightly misaligned surfaces. I sometimes just start over if the modifications are a lot. Then again, I also have seen large file sizes that weren't a problem and much smaller sizes that AutoCAD could barely work on.

Definitely need to see some screen shots.

Thanks guys

Previous version at 8mb

Capture3.JPG.c2661bb4744f2d8044dfd775a091c90f.JPG

Capture4.JPG.4092069a911cc92db13788ef4213fea6.JPG

Not a great deal of edits (really) but you can see I've sealed some holes up, cut more, built new casters, and a more complex door arrangement at the front. About this time it started lagging when selecting, copying, changing view etc, and after I'd saved to close down and restart, the new file size was there. BREP, PURGE etc, added 5mb to it!

Capture2.JPG.074fd487c7cf006548297edd560d6c96.JPG

Capture1.JPG.58a0768b9373ff823c55ed9da1f8dc29.JPG

Yeah, I'm with SLW210 on this. You've got a lot of detail in that model, so I would look at simplifying wherever possible. A good place to start would be to utilize blocks for things like the caster assembly. Make it a block and then copy it to the other locations. Creating blocks for things that repeat on the model, like nuts and bolts, should help cut down the file size.

Also, be sure to put everything on separate layers so you can freeze things while you're working. There's no need to have everything visible all the time.

Cheers. I'm pretty free with freeze and isolate, but as you say, I'll try making blocks and see how that pans out :)

How are you removing holes, etc? Where did you get the casters?

Remove a few of the latest items at a time and keep rechecking the file size (use a copy of the drawing if necessary).

Holes are done by making a cylinder or box and subtracting from the original solid. The castors are 'sketched' using a Sliced Box and a Cylinder.

Yes, I was thinking about a steady transfer of parts to a blank file to see how it went :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Phil,

Have you tried OVERKILL command. That way you can do more than purge otherwise, what I can recommend is to check if you have deleted hidden items as well. How about saving it in wire frame instead of a realistic or conceptual mode?

image.thumb.png.60f8a41afe428e32b634b39a63c39c5e.png

Source: https://allaboutcad.com/remove-duplicate-and-overlapping-objects/

Hope this helps. Feel free to message if you have questions

Cheers,

Chris

Is this a drawing which you created yourself from scratch?

So you know the software used from the gitgo?

Meaning no addition REGAPP corruption such as might come from Microstation or other software.

When you did the -PURGE, did you specify REGAPPS?

As one of the steps, in a multiple PURGE approach?

Edited by Dadgad

1 hour ago, Dadgad said:

Is this a drawing which you created yourself from scratch?

So you know the software used from the gitgo?

Meaning no addition REGAPP corruption such as might come from Microstation or other software.

When you did the -PURGE, did you specify REGAPPS?

As one of the steps, in a multiple PURGE approach?

Hiya.

The model had been built purely in AutoCAD 2013 & 2017. Only weird add-ins would have been a PDF import to correlate a couple of details from a client supplied sketch..

I have done the -PURGE / All several times. Just tried the -PURGE / Regapps. It did find a few new objects. Saved it, it added another 4mb to the file size!!!

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Chris.E_AllaboutCad.com said:

Hi Phil,

Have you tried OVERKILL command. That way you can do more than purge otherwise, what I can recommend is to check if you have deleted hidden items as well. How about saving it in wire frame instead of a realistic or conceptual mode?

image.thumb.png.60f8a41afe428e32b634b39a63c39c5e.png

Source: https://allaboutcad.com/remove-duplicate-and-overlapping-objects/

Hope this helps. Feel free to message if you have questions

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris

Just tried -OVERKILL. Didnt change the overall file size unfortunately.

I normally work in 2d wireframe unless I need to check something's looks. I do use HIDE, FREEZE and ISOLATE a lot, and have checked that.

Client has now decided all he wanted was a concept drawing so its on hold now. :D Nothing wasted, as I have learned new things, which is always good.

Cheers for your help everyone