Drawing Revision vs. Release and How to Show

resullins

Ok... This is an argument I've had with a couple of different people and never really get a consensus. 

1. Is there a difference between a drawing RELEASE and REVISION? 

2. How do you show one or both? 

3. Should they be shown per drawing, or globally per set? 

I maintain that any time you update anything, you update the REVISION in the Titleblock (which is an XREF, thus it updates everywhere), and revcloud individual changes.

I have been told that was an "Old Fashioned" way of doing things. That with the advancement of technology, it's VERY common to update the revision number on INDIVIDUAL pages, as they are often PDFed and released individually and quickly. I.e. the revision chart is a block, not in the Xrefed TB. 

My biggest problem(s) with the second method is that A. it's wildly impractical if you DO have a massive revision and then have to update a block on EVERY. SINGLE. PAGE. in a set. And B. I like the guys in the field to always be able to quickly tell what date/version of drawings they have no matter what page they happen to be looking at. 

Am I totally wrong here? How do you guys show these things? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, resullins said:

Ok... This is an argument I've had with a couple of different people and never really get a consensus. 

1. Is there a difference between a drawing RELEASE and REVISION? 

Yes. In my world, a release refers to a milestone of the project, SD, DD, CD. A revision usually comes after CD indicates a change to the construction documents.

2. How do you show one or both? 

It depends on the title block. IMHO, the title block should have a revision table an a release section.

3. Should they be shown per drawing, or globally per set? 

I much prefer per drawing but both are acceptable.

I maintain that any time you update anything, you update the REVISION in the Titleblock (which is an XREF, thus it updates everywhere), and revcloud individual changes.

I have been told that was an "Old Fashioned" way of doing things. That with the advancement of technology, it's VERY common to update the revision number on INDIVIDUAL pages, as they are often PDFed and released individually and quickly. I.e. the revision chart is a block, not in the Xrefed TB. 

My biggest problem(s) with the second method is that A. it's wildly impractical if you DO have a massive revision and then have to update a block on EVERY. SINGLE. PAGE. in a set. And B. I like the guys in the field to always be able to quickly tell what date/version of drawings they have no matter what page they happen to be looking at. 

The argument against by project is that the title block can show a revision when none is present on the sheet, wasting time looking for something that isn't there.

It really just depends on how OCD your Managers want to be as far as keeping things uniform. 

Industry standard is to keep revisions specific to the sheets being revised.  This is how it is done at Civil Design firms around the country and also how corps of engineers does things.

If your company is a small firm and your client doesn't have a standard you need to maintain for revisions, you just use your judgement and whatever suits your own needs to keep things as simple as possible.

-ChriS

2 hours ago, RobDraw said:

The argument against by project is that the title block can show a revision when none is present on the sheet, wasting time looking for something that isn't there.

Hence the revision cloud... which are generally pretty standard on a lot of drawings.

I really do see the benefits of both methods, but really just can't get over the extra headache and possibility of errors when someone may have to update the titleblock on 78 of 80 sheets individually... <shrug> 

It really just depends on how the rev block is being generated, size of the set, etc..

If it is part of a single titleblock xref, you have to come up with some sheet-specific solution to add the revision notes like using mtext in paperspace or attdef's in the XREF, as examples (whatever is deemed "easiest" and still meets your client's cad standards).

But there is always going to be the possibility of errors regardless of what method you use.

Corps of Engineers actually requires both revision clouds, color coded to denote what kind of update you are clouding, along with the updates to the rev block.

Since both have to be done in conjunction I normally do it all at once (one sheet at a time until I know for sure the sheet is accurate).  Then move on to the next sheet.

It's still possible to make mistakes with that method.

So I always go through the final set multiple times to cover my butt and have the project manager review for accuracy as well.

Sheet set manager is actually really awesome for this kind of stuff but very few clients and government organizations I've worked with require it.

Some firms use their own internal LISP routines to emulate what sheet set manager does (basically) without having to deal with SSM in any way.

But that method still requires a solution to make the sheet-specific info display correctly.

-ChriS