Modify part file, when inserted in assembly, just like the bolts in the Design library

andre6ko

Hello Colleagues,

I am starting this topic, as I have not found no related topic here on a problem with SolidWorks, that I really am to solve.

I try to create a pipe, that has three parameters: outer diameter (D), wall thickness (T) and length (L).

When I insert the part in an assembly I want to have a drop-down menu to choose standard D and T, plus an extrude tool to vary the L according to my technical needs in the drawing, but L should not exceed certain manufacturing length.

The bolts from the Design Library have exactly the properties, I ask about here.

I tried to create pipe in part file and configured it at the standard sizes. When I inserted it in a part file and modify the extrusion, the extrusion is inevitably saved in the part file.

Is there a way to create a part file, that I can modify by insertion without modifying the original source file, like the bolts from Design Library.

Thank you for regarding my question.

Kind regards.

• 1 month later...

You may be interested i the configuration publisher? I haven't used it in anger for a long time, so may be wrong, but if I recall correctly it allows you to create create a form so when you drag and drop a part in it will ask you to pick(or create new) a configuration of the size you want much like the toolbox

Theres quite a few videos on youtube about it and this blog goes into abit of detail too. hope it helps