How do I draw this long oval? shape

kubricktwobricks

I've been given both of these as a homework from a uni professor who doesn't explain anything and isn't responding to emails. I have no idea on how to draw the main oval shape thing in 2D of both of these and English isn't my first language so I cannot name or explain it. Any help, especially a video on how to draw it would be appreciated. I've tried drawing it with circles and lines using trim and it looks correct but it doesn't region. Thanks a lot. 

Screenshot_2020-04-23-13-04-13-826_com.google.android.apps.classroom.jpg

Screenshot_2020-04-23-13-03-51-100_com.google.android.apps.classroom.jpg

You are given the diameters og the circles and the distance between them in the drawing, start with that (draw circles first for those ends). Then the next step is to draw the lines connecting the crcles using the Tan(gent) osnap. After that it is just using the trim tool to tidy everything up.

Steven's advice is sound. I would add that you can draw a line that's TANgent on both ends. It's not obvious (at least not to me), but it's an efficient way to finish the outer edge.

There seems to be a discrepancy. The first diagram shows a countersunk area at the top, while the second shows a beveled area.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:55 AM, CyberAngel said:

Steven's advice is sound. I would add that you can draw a line that's TANgent on both ends. It's not obvious (at least not to me), but it's an efficient way to finish the outer edge.

There seems to be a discrepancy. The first diagram shows a countersunk area at the top, while the second shows a beveled area.

Those are two completely different objects.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps the progression screenshot which I have attached will help you think the process through, for the second one.

At the top left I have created the 2D linework, and the outside line is a closed Polyline.

After drawing the circles I started a continuous Polyline, made up of Line and Arc segments, between TANGENTIAL O snap points on the circles.

I then determined how much I needed to OFFSET that line by, to create the outside boundary of the Base.

In the second image I deleted lines which were used for layout only, and used the PRESS PULL command (I could have used EXTRUDE, as all the elements are closed, so it would have worked) to create the Base plate which also creates the Holes at the same time.  If you are unfamiliar with PRESSPULL, watch that link.

In the third image I have used PRESSPULL again to model the Vertical tubular element.

In the fourth image I used 3DFILLET command from the SOLID EDITING toolbar, or probably also on the Ribbon which I do not use.

In the fifth image I deleted all extra layout lines and UNIONED the two 3D Solids, to create the final part, which is being displayed in the Xray visual style.

I hope that might help you break down the thought process and flow.

Good luck.

Personally I favor doing modeling in an Isometric view, which lets you see a lot more than an Ortho perspective.

I suspect I have gone overboard here.  In your post you mentioned bits wouldn't REGION, which made me think you were trying to MODEL it.

If I was mistaken, my apologies. 😐

image.png

Edited by Dadgad
grammatical correction/afterthought