Right Click Function

Hi.

When I have an object selected I like to be able to type in a command and hit right click to execute the command.

I have tried changing the edit mode in right click customization to 'shortcut menu' but I can't get used to it.

Later versions of cad seem to use the right click menu for more things so I would like to be able to access this menu.

Ideally, after selecting objects, I'd like to access the shortcut menu by holding the right click longer (or holding shift, alt or ctrl with right click) but holding right click brings up drag and drop box.

I have turned on the right click sensitivity but it doesn't seem to apply to the edit mode.

Anyone got any ideas or solutions?

Thanks

Welcome to CADTutor mcs.:)

I'm glad to see somebody else embracing the RIGHT-CLICK CUSTOMIZATION options, I am a big fan.

You need to experiment with the value of your LONGER CLICK DURATION, to set it to complement your personal style and keyboard/flow speed.

Right-Click Customization,Timing.png

Thanks Dadgad for getting back.

With these settings:-

- when a line is selected, then "move" is typed, then right click -> I get the shortcut menu

- when a line is selected, then "move" is typed, then long right click -> I get a drag and drop square

I would like to select a the line, type "move", right click and have the move command executed but if I long click (or alt/shift/ctrl and right click), have the shortcut menu pop up.

Do you think that is possible?

• 3 weeks later...

@mcs I am sorry and surprised that I missed your response earlier.

Please tell me that you're not really typing MOVE, or that at least you are using the autocomplete option at the commandline?

It sounds to me like tombu has made a great suggestion for you in his post.

If you aren't using SHORTCALLS or ALIASES you should be.

Explore your .pgp file, found at the bottom of your TOOLS dropdown menu, and familiarize yourself with

the ALIASEDIT command and functionality.

I set AE as the shortcall for it.

Set up your .pgp so that it serves you.

If you choose to edit any shortcalls in your .pgp file directly, make sure that you do so in the very bottom section,

as suggested there, so that your customizations will migrate with you whenever you move to new software.

Thanks Tombu. The spacebar is a good option. Forgot that it was the same as enter. Will just have to get used to it as have been using right click for enter for a long time.

Thanks Dadgad - yes I use shortcuts. I use W2 for move actually - odd hey. I have used aliasedit but found it fiddly when moving to new cad version. Good tip re only putting at the bottom of pgp file. I'm trying to put all my shortcuts in a lisp file now.

44 minutes ago, mcs said:

Thanks Tombu. The spacebar is a good option. Forgot that it was the same as enter. Will just have to get used to it as have been using right click for enter for a long time.

Thanks Dadgad - yes I use shortcuts. I use W2 for move actually - odd hey. I have used aliasedit but found it fiddly when moving to new cad version. Good tip re only putting at the bottom of pgp file. I'm trying to put all my shortcuts in a lisp file now.

You're welcome and welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it as well as the rest of us.

Aliasedit modifies your pgp file automatically putting modifications in the bottom section so when moving to an new version or to share with another user just migrate, copy or share the pgp file.

5 hours ago, mcs said:

mcs, I'm glad to hear you use shortcalls.

Not sure why you need to put them in a lisp file, but do put them somewhere, in case you ever need them.

It is a lot easier to hit READ in the SYSVDLG box than to need to work through the hundreds of commands and try to remember how you like them set.

I am a fan of single key aliases, for those keys which are near my default left hand position.

I suspect that most forum members have little use for the TILDE key, unless they are Spanish speaking.

I use a double click on it to switch to PAPERSPACE.

Everybody works in their own way, and will know what suits them best.

One that isn't showing on the screenshot is    NN    which opens NOTEPAD, on the fly, if I need to remember something for later.

image.thumb.png.5acf9306ca9dee27342b9d172e94a8d6.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 5:58 AM, Dadgad said:

Not sure why you need to put them in a lisp file, but do put them somewhere, in case you ever need them.

It is a lot easier to hit READ in the SYSVDLG box than to need to work through the hundreds of commands and try to remember how you like them set.

Nothing more easier than using a single lisp for all the commands and shortcuts.
Although you can edit the .pgp, i don't think it transfers well to new autocad version (because of added or changed commands).  A lisp always works (unless for the changed commands) and can be centraly stored for use in the whole office.

i got 1 single lisp file with all my commands i need, even meed visual menu's (alert boxes) that explain most of the commands.  Its over 3000 lines of code long.
Works like a charm.  And because it mostly my own creations it's no trouble at all to remember those commands.
Sometimes its even harder to remember the original command and how to use then.

The usefullness of a lisp routine must be pretty clear for you, but only using it to create your own (short) commands is allready very handy.  

And learning basic lisp in the meantimes makes you think about how you can optimize your own work process.

One of my first own created lisp routines is used by many coworkers and used daily.

(Defun C:old () ;; Turns UCS and zooms to object
(command ".ucs" "ob" pause ".plan" "c" ".zoom" "w" '(-10 -10) '(10 10))
(princ)
)

Beats a lot of hitting the enter/spacebar or right mouse button :).