Sheet Metal Layout Question

Bill Tillman

I'm a total newbie with sheet metal folding. I was looking for advice on how I can make the attached flashing using a single piece of .045" galvanized sheet, or maybe even aluminum. My fascia board has rotted away and the roofing contractors want $$$$ to fix it. I'm just looking to make something to hold as much water out until I can make the right deal on the repairs. It looks to me like this could be done, possibly without any cutting or trimming, just fold along the dotted line, but it's usually not that simple in repairs.

Fascia Flashing.dwg

Hi Bill, a picture would be helpful, to better understand the extent and specifics.

It looks like your Fascia is plumb, and it is very unlikely that the damage is coming from exposure to the plumb face, but rather from above and behind the fascia.

The piece you show would stop water hitting the plumb fascia face, but would do nothing to help with water getting to it from above and behind.

Looks like the damage is only at one end and 24" in lngth?

Thanks Dadgad, I was planning on visiting with a friend today who uses Inventor. As I recall there is a sheet metal capacity with that software package. And yes, this fix will be just a temporary band aid type until I can afford the real fix.

The temporary fix might just be as simple as slipping a store bought piece of flashing up under the shingles in that small area, and bending it slightly to better match the andle of your roof, as when you buy it, it would be bent to a right angle.  Still love to see a picture, if you can.  Good luck with it.

Took this one a few days ago. It's been raining cats and dogs so the pressure is on to get at least something up. This corner is tight and the damage has been happening over the last several years. I'm also using this as a good excuse to retrain using Inventor. It's been a long time since I toyed around with sheet metal. I have always admired what sheet metal fabricators can do, like how they can take a flat sheet of iron, cut and form it to make so many complex shapes. And BTW, I did make a $50 investment in an oscillating saw and used that to trim away the decayed wood. Still needs work.Bu if I could just slap something up there to last only a few months I'll be fine. Believe it or not, I stuffed it full of towels the other night when a real down pour was coming. It worked well but eventually the wind blew it out. Some flashing and few wood screws should hold this temporarily.

Damaged Fascia.jpg.jpeg

Edited by Bill Tillman

How temporary is temporary?

It doesn't look that big so duct tape should hold it for a decent time.

If I'm interpreting correctly what your .dwg shows then that would be possible but pretty wasteful of material for a one off.

You would need to cut a flat oblique 'L'  from a sheet and then fold it at an angle. (or cut a V notch and weld it after folding).

TBH I'd be looking to cover up what's already there with an aluminium or pressed steel (stainless?) angle under the corrugations and back to the wall with a riveted or welded endplate at the corner.

Full length of the building rather than just a patch at the corner would look better.

No need to follow the corrugations, leave the gaps or use some filler.

Thanks for the tips nukecad. The definition of temporary in this context is as long as it takes to get the disposable income to pay for whatever I do. Cash is tight these days so the more DIY the better. I think I will buy a piece of galvanized steel from one of my machine shop buddies drop off piles and try to make this work. But as stated, I'd like to hone my skill set with Inventor's sheet metal layouts. This will be an interesting challenge. No welding if possible and I think it can be done.

Pop rivets are really easy and convenient, as you can attach just about anything with them, they are really inexpensive and come in a great range of sizes.

The hand pop riveter is a great cheap tool to have in your arsenal.  I used to bulk order solid copper rivets from China, which looked really beautiful joining hand hammered copper lamp shades in a factory I ran.  Builders Emporium will likely have 40 or more different sizes of normal ones.  Looks like the last trough in your Spanish tiles there is the culprit which is directing all that water onto your fascia.  Glad you posted the picture, totally different from my preconception.

Edited by Dadgad
afterthought

I replaced some flashing found a folding company and it was pretty cheap. You don't need too technical a dwg so long as the dimensions are correct the fabricators will know the fold stretch and so forth. A paper sketch would do. Mine was double folded to suit a brick wall other bits had a little kicker on bottom to force rain drops away from wall.

I had to get this fix for the rainy season and not having $$$$ right now, I held my hands out, with fingers touching each other, angles my left hand at about 25°, then folded my hands like a press brake would do and saw this one come to life. A quick trip to the big box store and an investment of $10 in some aluminum flashing and viola, I have it closed in at least temporarily and can now await the proper time to fix this one right. The aluminum was thin enough a simple pair of scissors cut it to size and the shape required.

And now, just to prove the big bad Internet is watching over us, this very post on cadtutuor's website is emblazoned with ads from roofing contractors.

Drawing1 Model (1).pdf

Edited by Bill Tillman

I don't see any ads here at all.

I'm using AdBlock and Malwarebytes Browser Guard extensions in Firefox, both free and between them they block most annoying advertising.

MBG is also available for Chrome and Chromium based browsers.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard/

Edited by nukecad

Well done Bill!

May all your problems be so easily remedied.  :beer:

My favorite motto from a roofing company, one which I never had to use, but great marketing, on their business card.

Above All A Good Roof.

Very succinctly and profoundly stated.

Quite a difference between the two drawings which one is correct 45° in your original dwg or the 25° from the pdf.

21 hours ago, Bill Tillman said:

some aluminum flashing and viola

I've just noticed that you had time to play a tune as well. boohoo.gif.e067847aaa642cf27e975ab1c1cbfbe3.gif

Is an aluminium viola similar to a steel guitar?

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks again to all. The roof repairs which were going to be only $600 USD turned out to be $2000 USD after we got up there and found more damage from 18 years of rain and hurricanes. Ouch!. Oh well, money is only of value when you part with it.