need help with star quilt block

RickP

We are always happy to help teach you, but nobody is keen to do your work for you, which is why nobody has attached any .dwg files.

As you can see there are lots of different ways to skin a CAD.  Hopefully we will help fasttrack you to recognizing some of those.

There is no need to draw the whole layout, if, in a case like this, there are lines of symmetry, across which your work can be mirrored.

Or also, as in this case, if you draw one quadrant (quarter of the drawing), you can then use the ARRAY or ARRAYCLASSIC command,

to complete the other 3 quadrants.  Just read the commandline prompts very carefully, move slowly, and be curious enough to click

on those commandline options when you have the time to experiment, so that you will learn the true potential of each command.

In this case, after ARRAYING or MIRRORING you would need to have been observant enough to note that single additional line which

is non-symmetrical, and remember to add it, or your instructor will definitely be deducting points for its omission.

Since you say that your instructor is somewhat less than communicative, or should I say Instructive?

Do yourself a favor and visit MYCADSITE  .

It is a very good self instructional approach to learning AutoCAD.

The lessons are very well thought out and planned in an intuitive progression, with chapter tests at the end of each installment.

I used it 12 years ago to teach myself AutoCAD, had a pretty good understanding of most of the basics after a few days.

I still love doing CAD, never seem to tire of all there is to learn.

Nobody knows it all.  Not even Eldon, with the secret CADerati handshake!  :beer:

Nor does he think he does.  How refreshing that is!  :)

I was spurred on to finish the hatch pattern, including the rogue line.

I would not consider the boundary of a hatch to be part of the drawing process, so now I am claiming one click.

@BIGAL, I took it methodically, and I can jot down my general way of thinking soon in the proper part of the forum

Garden Path.PNG

• Like 1

Rogue line, I like that, you silver tongued luminaire!   :thumbsup:

But we might have to call for a ruling from an impartial higher authority as regards your click count claim!  :shifty:

So you would set your HPNAME variable to this, with your HPORIGIN point set to the default.

Wouldn't you want to modify that hatch so the corner of it designated in your HPORIGINMODE falls in the center of a big diamond?

Meaning so that in the corner there is a large triangle like in the OP assignment, which would later be located at the origin.

Once that was sorted you could use the RECTANGLE command with origin at 0,0 (the default)

followed by the HATCH command (HPNAME is already dialed and scaled to size).

I look forward to hearing how you defined this complex a hatch.  :beer:

I see my feeble effort to show a garden path fell upon stoney ground!

Anyway, more fullsome answers in the Hatch Customisation Forum in the fullness of time.

I'd be fascinated to know how you get the rogue line in the hatch, I have the rest done but finding where that line repeats (dot-dash) is a long way off.

I found one, nearly aligning, 482 units away. It wasn't perfect so I heaved it round a little! (translated as moved the angle a bit. I used an angle of 22.47943497)

WOW!  I was totally oblivious to the fact that there is a HATCH forum here.

Great to learn, diving in to test the waters!   :beer:

I thought Eldon was cracking wise when he referenced the Hatch Customization Forum!  :shock:

Looks like there was a minor typo in that line, AKA the garBAGE path!  8)

Edited by Dadgad
addendum

2 hours ago, Dadgad said:

....I thought Eldon was cracking wise when he referenced the Hatch Customization Forum!  :shock:

Looks like there was a minor typo in that line, AKA the garBAGE path!  8)

The green objects were meant to represent a neatly trimmed box hedge either side of the orderly paved garden path, flanked by Delphiniums and Hollyhocks (which were all in my mind).

Touche!  I had failed to appreciate, that which was clearly, as stated a most regal English Garden path, shame on me!   :oops:

34 minutes ago, eldon said:

The green objects were meant to represent a neatly trimmed box hedge either side of the orderly paved garden path, flanked by Delphiniums and Hollyhocks (which were all in my mind).

Ah now I see it, my mind was somewhere else, I just saw a bunch of frogs waiting to jump in a swimming pool with a mosaic tile floor 🤣