Please help with Structural Drafting Plate 1

Rave

Hello,

I am having trouble with how the scaling looks like. I am still creating the I beam before i add it inside the title block. I wanted to understand if i did it right. As per the pdf says : "Units: Set the architectural units to 64ths. Use surveyor’s units for the system of angle measurement. " So I went to units, and under Length type: i set it to architectural and under precision i set it 0'-0 1/64". then i set the Angle Type to surveyor units. Did i do it right? 

If i did it right, when i create the I beam, it looks extremely larger in comparison to the border/title block. I used the measurements I got from another thread here to make the I beam: 

W12x152 rough dimensions

Depth = 13.71

Web thickness = 0.870

Flange width = 12.480

Flange thickness = 1.40

Source: Manual of Steel Construction, Allowable Stress Design, 9th edition AISC

I created the array of I beams, but again its too large in comparison to the Border/title , so I tried to scale the I beam array to fit in side it and now the I beam looks like really small I's , what am i doing wrong , I am attaching picture for reference. the second picture with the array also shows the border/title block near the lower left corner of the array. 

2020-06-21.png

2020-06-21 (1).png

Its a pity the exercises have not been updated, it would be far more practical to use the Title in a layout and have a Model view at scale to suit. That's what layouts were made for.

I have four more projects to complete and I feel at this point that after all the hard work I out in understanding a very foreign concept through the materials Penn foster provided, this project is just flying over my head and very discouraging to the point of giving up. I saw a peek of civil drafting project and that seems more daunting. I don't know when to use a paper space layout or why it has not been in the instructions in PDF. Yesterday I reflected on how much effort I put past two years trying to understand drafting through Penn foster. I feel totally like I don't know how to proceed to even do the rest of the projects. The Oleson village seems like a cakewalk at this point compared to every other future project to be completed. I don't know what I am supposed to do. I am already having thoughts on quitting (grade average 98, I never thought it will end like this 😔) I really thought I had a chance at completing this course and get a suitable job in it. But now without a certificate to show and all the hard work and good scores of past exams, I have nothing to show to employers. 

The book on structural drafting felt like it was just filled with a glossary of words and definition. Not enough information on how this all connects together with past lessons in AutoCAD. I have no clue why they just put a bunch of definitions and called it a book to help students. One should have previously worked as a drafter to understand those concepts. I am frustrated. I don't have much encouragement from my family to complete this project, I carve out the time at midnight. I don't think I can keep up or sustain this level. I schedule to complete the parts of project in chunks and I didn't do anything past two days than watch/rewatch/read/reread the instructions and it still doesn't amount to anything. 

There are a number of threads relating to this project here at CADTutor.  Have you read any of them?  I am fairly sure that some of those threads also contain images of completed drawings.  Regarding the title block and border.  Once created it should be saved as a block and at a future point inserted into your drawings and scaled accordingly (usually up).  Refer to pages 3 and 4 of your instructions.  The image you included in your second post appears to be correct.

Just one question.  When you measure between column centerlines, horizontally or vertically, what do you get for a distance?  It should be 18'-0" in either direction.

Edited by ReMark

I am still checking the drawings and posts here on this project. I am greatful for CADtutor for the wealth of information that helped me learn the ropes of looking at the PDF instructions in a different way to comprehend. I just hadn't thought it would be this hard to comprehend the materiel Penn foster provided for structural drafting. I don't have a background in civil or architecture. But I do love to get into this field because I like the software and how it's so much fun to use it. I had a brief short course two years back in SketchUp from an instructor led night class before I started this self paced course. I should have just gone with AutoCAD course from that instructor for half the price I paid at Penn foster even if that course wouldn't have been this intensive. I am going to make the most out of now until December when the extension from Penn foster ends for this course. 

About the distance, yes I just checked again, it measures 18'-0" in both directions.

"About the distance, yes I just checked again, it measures 18'-0" in both directions."

That's good.  You are on the right track.

I compare the drawings on plate 1 and i see that some of them have the girders and channel represented as I and C on the drawing while others have lines drawn. Which is correct way to represent? I made a girder with dimensions from appendix H and inserted it as an array between the beams. Here is how mine looks. I am planning to make the C channel and make it in array to insert horizontally in the bays. Again mine wont look like lines but letters. Am i doing it right?

2020-06-24.png

Sorry but on my computer I can barely see the columns and the footings in your drawing let alone anything else.

Penn-Foster does not provide clear instructions on how the connecting beams and channels are to be shown on the drawing so I have seen them drawn in using the provided dimensions as well as drawn in using a single polyline with an assigned width (ex. - 4").  Since they are also going to be labeled with their correct designations I suppose it does not matter.  Where I worked we used polylines with an assigned width between columns if we were doing 2D drawings.

When I contacted penn foster, I was told that I need to do 7 rough hand sketches for each plate. I am now wondering how there are 7?  for now i have a beam, girder, and channel individual drawings , so thats three, and then i put these in the foundation plate, so thats fourth one, the fifth i assume is the angle bracket on girder drawing? and the other two i dont understand, is that the completed whole foundation plate? but that will just be 6, which is the 7th? i know it might not be needed to submit the test, but i would like to know what they are referring to. I wrote the same to them tonight, hope to understand by tomorrow,

Here is my most recent one. Do i need to show the Angle attached to the girder in a separate drawing beside this drawing? 

2020-06-25.png

I would suggest you remove your drawing from the post above.  Another student might decide to "borrow" your hard work.

I wasn't aware that Penn-Foster required hand sketches.  No previous student post has ever mentioned that requirement.

No, you do not need to show the angle in the plan view of the building.  Angles will be shown in a different drawing mainly in details.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

I just removed. Thanks !

I was told the hand sketches are only so that we get used to real time scenario good practices maybe. But it's not required for the exam submission is what I gathered. 

I got 99 and 100 for my tech drawing hand drawn exams, yes I am that old maybe 17 ? Pencil ink and paper was all you had.

Edited by BIGAL

Plate 1 done, going to plate 2. Here is my plate 1: any feedback welcome :)

Edited by Rave

I have the following comments. 

1) The cyan colored section line should not pass through text if it can be avoided. 

2) The size of the text in the bubbles for your column centerlines should be the same.  It looks like the the numbers at the top are larger than the letters on the side.  Pick one size (I prefer the size used for the numbers, but check your instructions).

3) I would break the dimension lines that pass through the bubbles labeled 1 & 5 as well as A and D so as to avoid them running through your text.

4) I would suggest adding a little more space between the dimensions at the top and the columns similar to what you did on the A thru D column centerlines.

Otherwise, from what I can see the drawing meets the requirements as outlined.