Please help with Structural Drafting Plate 1

Rave

The drawing for the roof helped me understand what I need to do. I guess flashing is something I need to show in plate 3? So I draw the roof (yellow line) as red as directed by the pdf (the pdf says that any hidden line needs to be drawn as red). 

I dont know how to interpret a call out, the book didnt help me understand and i have been referring several online help but not understood entirely. I know the #6 stands for the Bar number, but i dont understand the 8" OC part.

Edited by Rave

14 hours ago, ReMark said:

This is how one student showed the roof line (color: red).  Note: the roofline is actually the flashing on the edge of the entire perimeter of the building

Okay, so I am going to draw the red flashline which is 1/4" thick. 

What are the three holes below the rebars here?: 

Footing-rebar detail.PNG 

Here is my updated one, I still am not clear about the metal siding and the 8" OC on rebar call out. But I did some changes as suggested. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

The three circles represent rebar going in the other direction just like I said previously.(#6 rebar at 8" OC).  OC means "on center".  I believe this information was contained in a separate handout from P-F which explained the terminology used in structural drawings.

Like I said, it appears that P-F has accepted, as correct, siding that is drawn in either direction.  In my real life experience siding such as the one called for in your drawing by P-F was always installed vertically.  However this required a 3x3x14 angle bolted to the slab in order to have an attachment point at the bottom to screw the siding to. 

However, you still have not followed the directions for showing the siding as called for in the instructions.  P-F expects the student to create "small patches" (closed polyline boundaries) in a 3 or 4 places on the drawing and using the HATCH command to create "texture lines".  

An example of a siding profile, polyline boundary, and texture lines (hatching) can be seen below.  This example would be applicable if the siding was installed vertically.  If it was installed horizontally then the example would have to be rotated 90 degrees.  I used the ANSI131 hatch pattern with the Angle set at 45 degrees and the Scale set to 20.  For the boundary I drew a vertical line and an arc.  I used the PEDIT command to convert them to a polyline.  Now do you understand what the instructions are calling for?

Siding Hatch.PNG

Edited by ReMark

Yes I now understand why I was seeing the arc like representation in previous drawings. It got me confused since in the textbook only ribbed structures were shown. So I had drawn just that in different places. I now understand that is the profile, and not the entire representation of metal siding. I appreciate your knowledge of explaining it. Yesterday I chanced upon this website which I was reading as part of understanding few basic procedures in building construction. I don't know how good rated it is in Construction world. But I liked how they used pictures for references. 

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Home

I couldn't find the term siding in there still, so that was a disappointment but now I have the above drawing to compare to, I really appreciate a volunteer like you taking your time to help students out in your own way. 

Thank you for your kind words, Rita. 

Re: siding.  Actually what you are dealing with is referred to as metal decking.  In this case P-F is not only using metal decking in the floor and roof slabs but also as exterior and interior siding.  Metal decking is used in a wide variety of commercial and industrial applications.  It includes steel roof and floor decking, aluminum floor decking, and acoustical metal decking.  Metal decking typically has a ribbed or corrugated profile that is achieved through a process called roll forming.  Metal decking comes in many forms.  It is available as standing seam, corrugated, batten panels, box ribbed (used in the project you are currently doing), flat panel, etc.

BTW...the website you referenced in your post above is actually one based in the UK (Great Britain).  The terminology, while similar in many cases, will be different as well as construction standards however the basic design principles will apply whether a building is built in the UK or the U.S.  Try searching on architectural terms and definitions or on specific topics such as "metal decking" as an example.  Or...just ask.  We have numerous members with a variety of backgrounds here at CADTutor.  I'm sure there will be someone to answer your question.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

I am on Plate 3, where I  am trying to draw the roof drain. I tried to search here for any dimension details of drawing the drain and I cant find it. I couldn't find it in the pdf too. I know that the arc portion of the drain starts above the part of slab that slopes to it. I also saw 4" Drain written on pdf, but I am not sure which part is 4". They referenced an image in the book but it doesn't give any dimensions on the pic too. I know what I am supposed to draw but not the dimensions. 

Unfortunately the choice of colors against the background makes it difficult to discern detail.  Email me a copy of the drawing and I will take a closer look at it.  There is however one glaring mistake.  Since you are looking at the building from the side the beam and columns surrounding what would be the sliding door would not be shown. 

On 7/7/2020 at 3:37 AM, Rave said:

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Home

I couldn't find the term siding in there still, so that was a disappointment but now I have the above drawing to compare to, I really appreciate a volunteer like you taking your time to help students out in your own way. 

FYI in the UK we use the term cladding (where you would use siding)

OH and just so you know it's Aluminium and not Aluminum 😜

11 hours ago, steven-g said:

FYI in the UK we use the term cladding (where you would use siding)

OH and just so you know it's Aluminium and not Aluminum

Thanks for that term. I am aware of the Al spelling differences since I grew up in Asia learning it as Aluminium. 

On Plate 4, I understand from Plate 1, we are supposed to look E-W. And we will see the channel section instead of the flat line. What i am not understanding referencing plate 1 to draw plate 4 is what columns and rows need to be drawn? (A,B,C,D) and (1,2) ? Should I be drawing the same footing as plate 3 or are the corner footings in plate 3 eliminated in plate4? I couldnt make out the drawings here due to its clarity. But I am trying my best to visualize it with the drawing references here. 

Edited by Rave

Stop working on Plate 4.  You have work to do on Plates 2 and 3.

1. The rebar in the footing on Plate 3 (and possibly Plate 2) is incorrect.  Please refer to the second post from the top of this page.

2. Rebar is missing in the concrete floor of the first level (above main floor).

3. Welded wire mesh is missing in the roof decking.  There is no rebar in the roof.

4. Arrowheads are missing on both your dimensions and your leader lines.  This may also be true of Plates 1 and 2.

5. Plate 3.  The cap at each end is drawn incorrectly.  See example below.

6. The "clips" at the end of the channels are missing as well as the bolts that secure the channels to the columns. See example below.

7. The steel decking profile is drawn incorrectly.

8. Please correct the hatching for the earth below the slab.  Most of it appears to be incorrect.

9. The vertical dimensions on the left should align with each other.

10. Leader lines from the detail bubbles (ex. D/6) should not cross the dimension line.  Pull them in closer and make sure the dimension line is outside of them.

11. Your text is too big .  Use a smaller size.  Wasn't this covered in the instructions?

12. Do not run dimension lines through text or place text so that it crosses dimension lines. 

13. There should be a line defining the "ceiling tiles" attached to the bottom of the channels.

I think most of your problems are a result of rushing to complete the project and/or a failure to comprehend what the instructions are asking you to do.  Slow down, read the instructions (more than once if necessary), and ask questions.  Email your instructor for clarification or come back here and post your questions.

Cap & Clip.PNG

Edited by ReMark

Re: Plate 4.

The student is asked to draw Section B-B.  Look at the plan view.  Note that Section B-B cuts across column centerlines A thru D.  Your section is through the side of the building with the shortest dimension (54'-0" versus 72'-0").  Your  section drawing will have to include the concrete piers and footings just as they were depicted in Section A-A (Plate 3).  Since they are square the dimensions will be the same.  The corner footings remain but now there will be two corner and two interior footings. 

Re: Plate 3 - Cap.

Here is a close up view of what the cap should look like.  Note the "drip edge" on the exterior side of the building (it's angled).

Cap closeup.PNG

I am going to be working on these tonight,thanks a lot ! I didn't know the steel plate at top needed to show the dripping, I thought it needed to be shown only in the detail drawing. I will change it. 

I have a question about the detail F1 in plate 6. It tells to show Girder. I referred this pic posted in a different thread and I dont see the Girder drawn in it. My question is should I be drawing the "I" shaped girder on detail F1 ? thisis the pic i was referring to:

PF details.JPG