ARCH Model not showing

resullins

I will preface this with "Revit confuses the crap out of me." And also with an apology for not understanding this stuff. 

I have a model (I'm with the AV Contractor) that is labeled as XXXXX_AV_CENTRAL. Please note I'm only using this model for my own informational purposes and am not inputting new families/objects into the model. So I have downloaded (from BIM360 Glue) all of the models (ARCH, AV, ROOF blah blah blah) and stuck them on my local drive. I open the AV_CENTRAL model and resave it as a Central model, and it tells me I'm missing links. Ok, I go to Manage Links and re-path them to where I have stored them. Path types are set to relative and Overlay. That's how it was when I downloaded the models. 

The arch file does not seem to be there. I see objects floating in space, and the grid, but no arch file. The V/G is set to show it, so I can not for the LIFE of me figure out why it's not there. I have opened the ARCH model, and IT has all the same links as the AV model, also NOT FOUND. 

I'm so confused. Can anyone make this model make sense to me? 

UPDATE!!!!! It was a workspace view. The ARCH workset was turned off. I have no idea why anyone would do that... but there it is. I'm leaving this up just in case anyone else finds this information useful.

Edited by resullins

If by "Workspace" you actually mean it's a "Workset" issue, there is a legitimate reason this is turned off by default. So in AutoCAD, freezing is different than hiding a layer because freezing it also un-loads the demand of the elements on that layer. Same with Worksets in Revit. It's one thing to hide a link, or elements in a model, it's another thing to close the Workset so it un-loads the demand of the objects themselves. We do that on huge architectural models, and if you are doing AV on a big building I'm going to guess it's probably a fine arts building or something else that is architecturally "heavy" in design, as most heavy AV jobs are because of the aesthetics of the building design. 

Hope that helps some. -TZ

• Like 1

Yes, I mean worksets, sorry. Old vocabulary popping out. 

So the job I'm working on right now is for a stadium. Not hugely architecture heavy. And if I'm reading this right, you're saying they turn them off to ease loading of files and stuff like that? Because while I could see how that would help, especially with most people working remotely, it will still have to be turned right back on for 99% of what everyone does. So how does it really help? I could see turning off peripheral worksets, like furniture or lighting, but not architecture. 

Sorry if I'm being obtuse. I don't fully understand Revit (obviously) so I just want to get better. 

It just depends on how it's set up. I'm just saying that's one reason a Workset would be set to Closed or invisible. Just a general description is all. And a stadium would be big. If an arch model is 400MB or higher, it's considered pretty large. Anything 700MB+ is huge. 

I may have posted this before but always keep this handy if you're a new Revit user: https://www.ideateinc.com/blog/2013/01/missing-something-in-revit-view-33

-TZ

Yeah, that might make some sense to me. Thus one was about 300m though. So not totally huge. It's just not something I would have thought someone would do. 

Either way, I'm learning LOTS about people's Revit habits. So maybe some other noob will find this handy!