Basic- How to correctly import a .png without the white background being added in the CAD display

AdamB

Hello hope this finds you well.

I am trying to find the correct method for importing a .png (created in Photoshop, no background, exported as a .png).

It is my goal to have this image appear without the white background it is showing up with.

The image is a company logo and while it plots perfectly, when viewed in the design interface it is showing a white background. Is there a way around this?

I am using Autodesk AutoCAD 2020

After you import the PNG, click on it to select it and then go to your Properties palette and change the "Background Transparency" setting to "Yes".

I believe that I may be dealing with a "stripped down" version of AutoCAD that our manufacturer utilizes-

When I use File>Import>(Select the file) nothing happens. If I right click there is an option to "repeat import" but nothing imports.

When I simply drag and drop the .png from file explorer into the workspace it appears like this- No background transparency option?

Thank you for your time helping me figure this out

image.thumb.png.21396b8c6fa03e3596e367b0d6cd59a3.png

There are only 2 versions of Autocad. The full version and Autocad LT, but they can both insert images with transparency.

To insert your PNG file, use the Xref Manager. Type XREF at the command prompt to open the manager, then right click anywhere inside the "File References" area and choose "Attach Image". This will allow you to insert the PNG file and then you should be able to set the transparency in the Properties palette.

When you drag and drop the image it will insert into the drawing as an OLE object and I don't believe you can set background transparency on that type of object.

You can't import images through File>Import. That's for importing CAD files.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cad64 there is a 3rd its Autocad OEM it allows developers to use the Autocad engine and functionality, BUT and its big it is like LT in that Lisp and other drafting options are not available.

https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/platform-technologies/autocad-oem#:~:text= AutoCAD OEM is licensed to independent software,an AutoCAD-based platform that cannot be... More

IMAGEATTACH comes to mind also.

Yes, there is always more than one way to do everything in Autocad. Using the Xref Manager is my preferred way of inserting dwg's and image files. It's just easier for my old brain to remember one command for inserting files instead of different commands for different file types. I like to keep it simple.

I don't know anything about OEM.

I do support for a company and they sell the OEM version with 3rd party software.  Its same version for Autocad / CIV3D. has to be .net.

IMHO, not a good idea for a company logo to xref an image file, the file has to go everywhere with the drawing. You need to use a vector file so it can be part of the drawing and transparent background.

I had the same problem almost everywhere I worked, the logo was an image file with a white background. I redrew them as vector files and made them part of the titleblock, etc.

The weird thing is, when a company pays or otherwise makes a logo, they usually start as vector files.

Had the problem once that marketing saw one of our plans and contacted us and said we were not using the correct corporate colour in part of the logo, it was vector and light blue solid hatch, we asked what we should use they could not provide a rgb etc so we could correct it. Glad it went away.