How to lock JPG image in Autocad to prevent from disappears

Sengna

Is there a way that i can lock  JPEG images in AutoCAD to prevent from disppears later?  can you guy recommend any technique? if i create folder to save those JPEG and don't move the original images will that be ok?  when i opened the drawing it shows missing file like below, i tried to reload/refresh but still didn't work.

Jpeg missing.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sengna

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They shouldn't just disappear. Something is happening to cause it. Most likely, CAD files are being saved to a different location or the referencing image files are being moved.

Where are the jpeg's stored (i.e. - the path)?

Are you accessing the files from your computer or from another computer (ex. - coworker's)?

Who has access to the folder where the jpeg's are stored?

35 minutes ago, RobDraw said:

They shouldn't just disappear. Something is happening to cause it. Most likely, CAD files are being saved to a different location or the referencing image files are being moved.

the jpeg were saved on shared network drive

32 minutes ago, ReMark said:

Where are the jpeg's stored (i.e. - the path)?

Are you accessing the files from your computer or from another computer (ex. - coworker's)?

Who has access to the folder where the jpeg's are stored?

the jpeg's stored on shared network drive at work, i accessed the computer on my work laptop, most of people who work in same duty have access.  when you mentioned "Path" above, i went back to compare the path, the jpegs location is still there but what happened was that the folder name changed and that is probably why? is there a way i can lock the folder from moving and rename?

I'm assuming this is a network folder so access would be controlled by your IT department.  You would have to contact the person in charge regarding both matters.

yes, it is network drive, maybe i will need to check with them to figure out how to set up password or lock the folders.  is there any other way to do this if i still want to link JPEG on DWG?

They don't so much "lock" the folders as they do designate who has "permission" to access the folder.  And no one other than the IT department should have the ability to rename a folder.  Create a new one, yes (again, if they have "permission" or rights to do so) but not to rename a folder.

6 minutes ago, ReMark said:

They don't so much "lock" the folders as they do designate who has "permission" to access the folder.  And no one other than the IT department should have the ability to rename a folder.  Create a new one, yes (again, if they have "permission" or rights to do so) but not to rename a folder.

ok, thank you ReMark, i am glad you are still here helping all of us in this forum. we need you.

Sengna: Thank you for your kind words.  I try to contribute when I can but since I retired I am not familiar with the latest version of AutoCAD so I am limited as to how much "knowledge" I can impart.  LOL!

1 hour ago, ReMark said:

Sengna: Thank you for your kind words.  I try to contribute when I can but since I retired I am not familiar with the latest version of AutoCAD so I am limited as to how much "knowledge" I can impart.  LOL!

Not a problem i have been in this forum since 2012, i am using 2018 autocad and so far you can answer most of my questions so you passed.   Congratulation on your retirement, it's fun to be relaxing at home unless us sit here doing CAD work for 8-10 hrs a day lol.

Honestly, I would rather be working at my old CAD job.  I retired 13 months earlier than planned at my wife's urging.  Right now I am hoping the whole coronavirus situation goes away sooner rather than later so I can look for some part-time work.

Remark join the retired club, I also retired as I was old enough to get pension etc, my wife passed away suddenly 3 weeks before I retired but I kept our plans alive and moved interstate, like you looking for part time work hence have a lot of time now for forums. The Virus has affected us to here in AUS I would have been like 4,000 km away now travelling but I am grounded as travel is one day supported the next, borders closed.

If you want to open from another PC or server save with eTransmit

image.png.ed3d99c3211cc4931616c64839aaac86.png

This will create .rar file with every image in the file and you can use it when you want without problem.

That's why I don't use very many xrefs, IT departments are poorly trained for these type of things (amongst other things). Lots of old files here with xreffed items, that have had folders moved, renamed, etc., I just repath/fix them as I get to them, but others are lost trying to fix them, so they like to mess it up further.

Not to sure how locking or setting up a password through IT would help, they would still be able to move and rename the folder, unless they let you have full rights and not them.

18 hours ago, ReMark said:

Honestly, I would rather be working at my old CAD job.  I retired 13 months earlier than planned at my wife's urging.  Right now I am hoping the whole coronavirus situation goes away sooner rather than later so I can look for some part-time work.

i got you.  yes COVID19 has bad impact to a lot of businesses.  we really need to have back up plan because i don't know when it is going to end.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:10 PM, BIGAL said:

Remark join the retired club, I also retired as I was old enough to get pension etc, my wife passed away suddenly 3 weeks before I retired but I kept our plans alive and moved interstate, like you looking for part time work hence have a lot of time now for forums. The Virus has affected us to here in AUS I would have been like 4,000 km away now travelling but I am grounded as travel is one day supported the next, borders closed.

wow that is awesome Bigal, congratulations, thank you for stick around and help us in the forum, sorry for your lost

On 7/7/2020 at 7:35 AM, Trudy said:

If you want to open from another PC or server save with eTransmit

image.png.ed3d99c3211cc4931616c64839aaac86.png

This will create .rar file with every image in the file and you can use it when you want without problem.

Good to know Trudy, so can i do eTransmit and send via email? can other people open with no issue? as far as ETransmit if people still keep moving the image folder or rename folder  i will still having issue correct? Etransmit won't help right?

20 minutes ago, Sengna said:

Good to know Trudy, so can i do eTransmit and send via email? can other people open with no issue? as far as ETransmit if people still keep moving the image folder or rename folder  i will still having issue correct? Etransmit won't help right?

Correct. You need to stop people from moving and/or renaming folders. Every time someone does this, it breaks the link and the files won't show up when you open the drawing. This is the root of your problem.

As for emailing files, Trudy is correct, Etransmit is definitely the way to do it. It's a pity that more people don't know about this. I get files from engineer's and architect's all the time with missing xrefs and images, and when I contact them and ask them to Etransmit the files, they have no idea what I'm talking about. :roll:

7 minutes ago, Cad64 said:

Correct. You need to stop people from moving and/or renaming folders. Every time someone does this, it breaks the link and the files won't show up when you open the drawing. This is the root of your problem.

As for emailing files, Trudy is correct, Etransmit is definitely the way to do it. It's a pity that more people don't know about this. I get files from engineer's and architect's all the time with missing xrefs and images, and when I contact them and ask them to Etransmit the files, they have no idea what I'm talking about. :roll:

Cad64, LOL, that sounds like me when asked people and they had no clue what i was talking about.  i heard about Transmit before but never know the benefits of it till now