Is there a standard legend for utility surveys?

aji2015

Just wondering if there is a standard legend in general circulation within the UK for the production of utility services/STATS survey drawings? 

Something that gives guidance or sets out which line types, colours and layers should be used for the likes of underground electricity, overhead electricity, underground optical fibre, overground optical fibre, gas, drains, etc. etc. ?

Cheers.

More than likely it would be a drawing standard put in place by local municipality - whether that be city or district.

One option would just be to call around and try to get in touch with someone that would know - don't be afraid to ask around.

A local or city planners office would have drawing standards in place for this purpose.

-ChriS

Like Ammobakes I am in AUS but if doing water or sewerage there is std provided by the Authority and yes it has stuff like linetypes and fonts , we would submit a plan and they would provide comments occassionally drafting to be corrected but approval number added and resubmitted then signed plans returned.

So try to get approved plans if you can in CAD.

Most agencies in the US have standard drawing templates, layers, standard blocks, etc..

So it's just a matter of getting in touch with the agency representatives and making sure you have the latest and greatest.

-ChriS

The tender request or the contract for the work should state what drafting standards to use, usually by refering to a document.

eg. "All drawings to be produced in accordance with specification XXXYYYZZZ" or something similar.
The document is often/usually an internal standard for that particular customer or organization.

If you don't already have that document then you ask them for a copy, or where you can get a copy.
(You should realy get one before quoting for the work, there may be something unusual in there like drawings having to be saved in an obscure or proprietary format).

Edited by nukecad

lol Bigal - I've had to do that before.

Only good outcome is I know microstation now.

But have only needed to use DGN once or twice for rare corps of engineer work for specific, sensitive military infrastructure.

Hopefully, i'll never have to do it again.

Only problem is now all the contractors in town know I can use microstation.  lol.

-ChriS

I know of one spec that still states drawings must be saved as Acad rev14.

And they will reject any that aren't.