True Color issues

GGuzzler

Hi all,

Normally, I print plans from AutoCAD in greyscale, using TrueColor for the objects I want to display in colour.

I find that when I paste in text from an MS Word report, parts of the text display as TrueColor RGB values, and others default to AutoCAD Index Colors.

Is there a way for any text pasted in to default to TrueColor rather than a mix of both? I'm currently going through the text and laboriously changing each instance to RGB colour, but I imagine there must be a better way which you friendly internet strangers know already!

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by GGuzzler

Can you post an example of both the Word doc and a dwg with the altered colors, or is it that the RGB values are the same as the index color?

The RGB values are the same as the index colour, so when I paste the text in it reverts to index colour rather than RGB.

I suppose one workaround is just changing the colours in the Word doc - it's a company template though, so would ideally prefer to find a different way if possible.

Here's a basic DOCX and DWG.

test.dwg test colours.docx

If they are the same then I doubt there is a method to overide how AutoCAD imports the colors, certainly not with LT. But I don't see any text in your dwg that looks like it has come from the word doc. How are you pasting the text?

1 minute ago, steven-g said:

If they are the same then I doubt there is a method to overide how AutoCAD imports the colors, certainly not with LT. But I don't see any text in your dwg that looks like it has come from the word doc. How are you pasting the text?

Sorry - I just copy from the word doc and paste into the DWG as MText.

This works for me:

1. In Word, select and copy the text you want.

2. In Autocad, Start the Mtext command and then paste the text into the Mtext Window.

Text.jpg

On 7/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, Cad64 said:

This works for me:

1. In Word, select and copy the text you want.

2. In Autocad, Start the Mtext command and then paste the text into the Mtext Window.

Text.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to reply - the problem there for me is that the magenta honeycomb and the pink revert to 'Magenta' and 'Color 231' even when I've pasted them in as MText, and so they don't print out as their actual colour when I print in greyscale.

22 hours ago, SLW210 said:

Save your Word file as RTF and use the Import Text feature.

I'll have to try this, thanks!

22 hours ago, SLW210 said:

Save your Word file as RTF and use the Import Text feature.

Unfortunately the magenta and pink stay stubbornly as 'Magenta' and 'Color 231' rather than their RGB values 😑

1 minute ago, SLW210 said:

Redo those colors in your Word Document. I selected them and slightly changed the current colors and they came in RGB.

Ah ok ... unfortunately that means a company-wide adjustment to our templates - but it may be the best way forward. Thank you for being generous with your time!

No problem, I should have checked your file yesterday. I already knew the Import Text should have maintained formatting from the RTF file, so didn't check your colors, I should have.

We still don't know how you are using that information in AutoCAD? It sounds like it is the actual words 'Pink' etc. that you want plotted in color and then the corresponding colors for the hatches and that everything else is grey scale. Would it not be easier to create an AutoCAD library document with the Mtext as a master library file and then copy the required notes as needed into your working drawings (or create a toolpalette to place notes as needed) taht way it would use Truecolor.

And if you need that text in a Word doc for a project copy paste from AutoCAD to Word does look to work keeping the color information.

1 minute ago, steven-g said:

We still don't know how you are using that information in AutoCAD? It sounds like it is the actual words 'Pink' etc. that you want plotted in color and then the corresponding colors for the hatches and that everything else is grey scale. Would it not be easier to create an AutoCAD library document with the Mtext as a master library file and then copy the required notes as needed into your working drawings (or create a toolpalette to place notes as needed) taht way it would use Truecolor.

And if you need that text in a Word doc for a project copy paste from AutoCAD to Word does look to work keeping the color information.

Thanks for continuing to help with this!

Exactly - the words are what we'd like to have shown in colour, and the hatches. Everything else greyscale. We produce tree protection plans for building sites and so this is all done in an effort to make the pertinent information stand out on our plans.

The difficulty is that each building site is different and so our methods change for each one to some extent - what usually happens is that my boss will edit a report and then once it's complete, I'll add the method statement / list to the paper space layout for final submission.

At the moment I'm having to go in and adjust the words that display as 'Magenta' or 'Color 231' or 'Color 30' or 'Cyan' into their respective RGB colours so they print in greyscale.

When you say 'AutoCAD library document' do you mean a DWT file? I'm not au fait with creating Tool Palettes.

The difficulty is that I can't fully do my boss's work on the report side - and he's not up-to-speed on the technical drawing side of things 🤦‍♂️

I suppose a wider question is 'what other ways can the drawings be made more legible without reverting to these fiddly color edits?'. Would you be able to point me to a resource that might be helpful?

Sorry for the long post, thank you so much for wanting to help!

3 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

You might ask in the AutoLISP, Visual LISP & DCL Forum for some type of batch file to run through the drawings to make sure each particular word is the proper RGB color.

Thanks - I assume that won't work in AutoCAD LT? I thought LISP was AutoCAD only?

I forgot you were LT. Options are limited, might be time to see about an upgrade.

Might look on some MS Office sites and see if the colors could be checked for RGB and fixed in Word before importing.

3 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

I forgot you were LT. Options are limited, might be time to see about an upgrade.

Might look on some MS Office sites and see if the colors could be checked for RGB and fixed in Word before importing.

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it!

No not a dwt file, though it might be an idea to do that and include all possible notes that you use and then just delete the unnecessary ones. But if this is an ever changing process or list which it sounds to be then a toolpalette wouldn't work unfortunately