Boat platform

Erhanask

On 22/07/2020 at 23:51, ammobake said:

what exactly is the purpose of this contraption?

Fixed to the transom for lowering/lifting jet-skis in and out of the water perhaps?

It would appear that as the clyinder is extended the horizontal platform arm decends (on an arc) whilst staying horizontal.
Without any measurements the movement of the platform arm looks to be about twice the stroke of the cylinder.

It also looks like there is a transfer of the chain from below the small sprocket to above it as the arm descends?
Unless done carefully that could bind up.

TBH I'd have thought that it could be done more robustly (and cheaply) with an offset parallel linkage rather than all that chain and sprocket arrangement.

Even easier, more robust, and cheaper with a longer stroke ram going straight up and down.
If pushed for mounting space two stage double acting rams are readily available, I used to design hydraulic rams including multi-stage double actors.    
(Chain drive sprokets and salt water tend not to get on well together).

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1

Agree any one with a boat and saltwater will know that a chain is just a no no. Link arms yes. Had a steel chromed ladder lasted 1 season.

Edited by BIGAL

I do remember once designing a skip loader platform for use on a fleet of fishing trawlers, it was a variant of one that we fitted to trucks and lifted skips full of fish out of the hold and onto the quayside.

Chromed rams and everything else hot dip galvanised.

That would have lifted jetskis easily.
Although that one was perhaps not pretty enough for a leisure boat I'm sure it could be prettied up to look, and even act, like a boat spoiler when not in use.

Would agree there Bigal.

Apparently, these are usually a frame consisting of series of stainless steel components with bolt linkage - with either one cylinder or two for larger lifts/vessels.

Sealift USA has some of these

https://www.sealiftusa.com/lifts

-ChriS

Edited by ammobake
  • Like 1