Bending a 3D solid

How do I bend the plate in the diagram? I did the whole object flat, sliced it and tried to rotate but it doesn't connect smoothly as shown.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Annotation 2020-07-28 195013.png

plate.dwg

Model it with the curve already built in.

Draw the lower left corner view, then either use EXTRUDE or PRESSPULL to create the width of 40.

If you want to use EXTRUDE you will need to create a closed polyline when you draw it.

PRESSPULL is much more user friendly and forgiving.

After you have done one of those you will have the overall 3D Model from which you can either SUBTRACT or use PRESSPULL again for the holes and void.

Check out this tutorial.   https://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/extrude-and-press-pull/

• Thanks 1

with 3d models, the first thing to think about is what 2D face would be easiest to model first to maximize the effectiveness of the extrude command.

Determine which 2D plane will be easiest to model first.  Then close and extrude.

This is the basic premise behind all basic 3d solids modeling in Autocad that involve extruding.

-ChriS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just coming back to this post to clarify a bit, but ammobake has already done that.  Start with a coplanar face!   :beer:

Edited by Dadgad
  • Thanks 1

Glad that worked for you, and I hope that you checked out that tutorial.

For those who are just getting started with 3D Modeling (or long time users unfamiliar with PRESSPULL)

it is very helpful.  Lots of other good ones there in the Tutorials section.  :beer:

Edited by Dadgad
  • Thanks 1

I haven't used this series of 3D Modeling videos, which I accessed at the bottom of the Tutorials dropdown in Videos,

But it must be pretty good, or it wouldn't be allowed on the forum.

https://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/learning-autocad-3d.php

• Thanks 1

There are some cases u will come across where a 3d solid might not be the right option.

There are some scenarios where using ruled surfaces or edged surfaces is the better alternative - just depending on the modeling method and what end-result you are going for.

You can check out a thread a while back where I modeled an F-16c using only ruled surfaces with varying surftab counts.

Loft command would work to a degree but a mesh perfectly depicted the fine smoothness I was going for.

-ChriS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1