Extruding windows

Biggs

Hi,

Kindly need your support to know how to fix this without restarting from scratch to extrude the windows from the dwg file and screenshots marked with where I am having challenges.

The cause of this in my opinion is I exploded the surface back and I wanted to add two windows but for some reason the two surfaces no matter what I do they are not connected.

Please let me know how to fix this, keeping in mind I am an amateur who did not study or know autocad, I just want to design my 2- story apartment to be able to do my interior design afterwards.

BTW (I am using autocad 2021)

Thanks in advance ❤️

BR,
Begad

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

3D.dwg

Well your wall is an exploded solid and now a region. Your window is a 3d solid. I think that you might have to restart your walls and leave them as 3D solids. Sorry but I am not sure of a "good" way to fix it. I never explode my solids. Good luck

Sean

• Like 1

I know both of you are correct because I learned the hard way :D, as I am still a beginner getting to know the mistakes now.. but do you know of a way to turn them to 3d solids without restarting the walls?

Yes it has a cost but does not use solids was coded over 30 years ago for plain Autocad, some hints the windows and doors trim and add line work above and below. Doing a render or shade makes walls and roofs solid.

A big hint Thickness then draw a line use -VPOINT 1,1,1 to see in 3d

3dhouse.jpg

Like others if using solids leave as solid and subtract objects or as suggested press pull.

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1

How did you create your 3DSolid walls?

There are numerous ways to do everything in Autocad.

Most might draw the inside and outside lines of your walls and then use the EXTRUDE, or the PRESSPULL command.

Or one could create a new Multiline style which is defined by two continuous lines which are offset from one another, by the desired overall thickness of your wall.

If you do that, you can just drag the multiline around in Plan view, and in one go the lines will be drawn.

That is essentially a 2D version of what the POLYSOLID command does.

Assuming that you are sort of winging it, might I also suggest the use of another perhaps frequently overlooked Polysolid command.

Read the commandline prompts very carefully .

You will need to specify the height of your Polysolid, which according to your drawing would be 3000.

I assume that is meant to indicate 3 metres?

The drawing units for the template upon which you are working are Inches.

Presumably your walls are not meant to be 3000 inches tall?

The thickness of your walls as drawn are 50 units, or inches, which sounds rather unintentional.

Guessing something like 6 inches or 150 millimetres might be a bit closer to your intention.

In Autocad we always draw everything in Modelspace lifesize...1:1.

If you wish to work in Metric units, as I do, then I suggest you start with one of the Metric .DWT template files.

There are lots of great free tutorials here on CadTutor, I suggest you invest the time, and watch some of them.
I was unable to open your drawing, as it was created in Autocad 2021.

I had to download DWG TrueView to open it, almost took a pass, but wanted to help you so persevered.

If you want to post a .DWG to the forum you might want to save it as an older file type.  As I use Autocad 2016, drawings which are saved as

later than 2013 are problematic.  Use the file type definition dropdown menu to specify how you want it saved, as in the screenshot.

image.thumb.png.7aeeb9a09720131e2cb37225e8c38467.png

This will help us to help you.

Good luck with it, do a little homework and you will be glad you did.  ;)

Should you be in a Metric friendly zipcode you will likely want to change your DEFAULT QNEW DRAWING TEMPLATE from the current default.

Right click inside the COMMANDLINE and choose Options from the bottom of the list, then just follow the screenshot.

When you are ready to exit that dialog click OK.

Having done that, the next time you start a new drawing in Autocad, it will use the ISO template which you have just specified.

Using that template, as is, your drawing units will be set to mms, meaning that if you draw a line and specify the length as 1000, it will be 1000 mms long, AKA one metre.

There is no shortage of stuff to learn in AutoCad, enjoy the ride, I certainly do.

Stand before you walk, walk before you run and you'll be flying in no time.

The website where I started teaching myself 12 years ago was MYCADSITE.COM

A very well planned instructional course for newbies.  

image.thumb.png.869ac494e5f072f22cfc16c2c01e90fe.png

3 hours ago, SLW210 said:

Why not use AutoCAD Architecture and use the included features?

^^^^ THIS^^^^ You are a student, as you are using an educational version so download and install AutoCAD Arch and let IT do the work for you! ;)

Use pline as suggested but look into Thickness and Elevation have another look at image. Then offset.

You can move objects like a line in z direction using 0,0,0 0,0,z big hint for windows put wall back.

Edited by BIGAL

20 hours ago, f700es said:

^^^^ THIS^^^^ You are a student, as you are using an educational version so download and install AutoCAD Arch and let IT do the work for you! ;)

All newer AutoCAD seats come with the toolset now, no need to be a student, but yes free to students and you can get a 30 day trial of the individual tools sets as well.

• Like 1

Well, I didn't even see the posted drawing. And, I lost my reading glasses today and saw it. I guess struggling to make out everything gives me focus.

I figured you knew that, just letting everyone else know those tools are available to many. I know if I can learn to quickly use Architecture and customize some things, anyone should be able to.

Still no explanation from the OP on why it was exploded. Easier to start over and DON'T explode the model, IMHO.

Oh no problem Steve ;) Good points, why did he explode them and why hasn't the instructor showed them (his class) autocad arch?
I completely agree, just best to start over at this point. It's ALWAYS easier the 3rd time around ;)