Need Help Getting 3D Lines to Join for Grabrail Layout

Bill Tillman

I'm designing a handrail system, darn as long as I've been doing handrails you think I'd have this by now. The attached file shows the concrete stair layout. It's got some angles in it that are making it hard to get the grabrail to go in. The magenta lines show where the 1-1/2" grab rail will go 36" above the nosing points. I have it but at the top where the stairs angle off at a 65.5° angle, the lines l want to use to extrude the tube just will not join up. The top section of the grabrail will be mounted to the building wall which is skewed to the lower stairs but ortho to the upper stairs.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've saved it down to 2007 format.

Railings.dwg

Edited by Bill Tillman

If you change to 'front' view you see the one of lines doesn't extend far enough, trim and extend will work in front view, but then go to a top view and you see that the lines again don't line up, you will need to move the upper handrail further from the edge of the staircase.

It looks to me like you will need a small section to "return" and join up to the upper segment.

What I would do would probably be to slice off the top 6" length of handrail in your drawing , get the upper handrail where it can get within 6" of that point.

Then draw a short section of handrail (6" or less)  to link up the upper and lower handrail sections - it just might have to be at a wierd angle.

So like instead of that flat 6" section of handrail you have on either side it will just have to angle up somewhat to meet up.

-ChriS