Tapered ellipse

Berzerker

I went looking for a drawing or DXF of a 6X9 speaker in the web and for some reason there is not one. I can find all sizes of round speakers. I've been trying to figure out how to go about this with no luck. I've tried frustum cone and the ellipse selection while in the command but it keeps coming out round. Ellipse command only gives me an ellipse with the sides straight up and down (an extruded oval).

When I first started I remember seeing an example of a 57 chevy in the samples folder so if that can be done I know a tapered elliptical cone isn't out of question. 

Is there a command in 2007 that I'm not aware of that can do this?

Thanks all ahead of time.

I'm trying to revolve or sweep an object around another object. I want to turn a 2D profile into a 3D object but neither are working. When I try revolve at the end it says it can't revolve it and sweep just don't work at all. Am I trying the right commands?

Without a copy of the drawing in question we cannot discern the true nature of the problem.  Please attach one forthwith.  It must be a DWG or DXF file.  Not asking for a screenshot or a PFD. 

Ok just to warn you I'm not very good at 3D! I'm trying to learn so if you laugh at it don't tell me. The speaker has a curve or arc at the base of where the cone starts. I want to make the shape colored magenta rotate around the speaker to chamfer it.

Speaker 3D.dwg

Trying to pedit some objects. I created the shape by trimming objects from other objects so they have to be touching in order to trim. I don't understand the fuzz part.

I've picked a number from .001 to .050 and they still won't join. I've zoomed in and from what I can see they are touching. If I select a line and it high lights it you can see it butting up to the other line. I have checked to see if they are all on the same plain and they certainly look like it.

What am I missing?

Thanks  

Post the drawing and lets have a look, they certainly don't need to be on the same plane to trim, try looking in properties to see if the ends have the same coordinates, or try the join command.

Thanks steven-g Don't look at the 2D speaker part because those were a rough drawing I done a few months ago and the are not correct as far as exact size. That's why I'm re-doing it.

I found a flaw in my drawing and in 2D it looks and fits great but when I put all my 3D parts together somethings off.

It's the outline in cyan.

Don't do it for me just tell me what I'm doing wrong, can't learn that way.

Speaker 3D.dwg

Edited by Berzerker

You're trying to use an ellipse as part of your polyline, which won't work. The easiest thing to do would be to draw an arc to replace the ellipse, then you will be able to join it to your polyline.

• Like 1

Thanks Cad64 I'll try that. I wasn't aware that you couldn't pedit a ellipse. They need to fix that! They should make it no matter what is drawn you can join it.

5 minutes ago, Berzerker said:

Thanks Cad64 I'll try that. I wasn't aware that you couldn't pedit a ellipse. They need to fix that! They should make it no matter what is drawn you can join it.

If you want to use ellipse's and be able to join them to a polyline, you have to first change the setting of the PELLIPSE variable to 1. This tells Autocad to create the ellipse as a 2D polyline. The default setting is 0 which creates the ellipse as a 'True ellipse', which can't be used in a polyline.

• Like 1

I like using all my shapes as polylines. I can't see a reason why you would want it the other way. Why have something in a drawing you can't do anything with. It did work great with the loft command though. But I would think (didn't try it) you could do it with a ellipse that's a polyline.

Edited by Berzerker

I'm not a big fan of splines. When you convert a spline to a polyline you get messy geometry with lots of excessive grips, which then translates into a messy 3D object when you extrude it. I don't know if that would cause any issues with a 3D printer, but I always try to keep my geometry as clean as possible when working in 3D.

Ellipse.jpg

• Like 1

I only have LT so no extrude available, I use 3Dpolylines to model directly to gcode for my 3D printer. And excel does all the working out of distances between nodes and I prefer to make curves from shorter staright line segments as the math is easier to do.

Don't know if there's a setting to change this. I revolved a shape and when I look at it in 2D mode it looks funny but if I go to 3D and shade it it looks fine. This is messing up the way I move things around. lines are missing, half my shape that I revolved are missing, outlines not there.....etc.

revolve1 shows it in 2D mode, revolve2 shows it shaded.

revolve1.JPG

revolve2.JPG

Edited by Berzerker