Function to sort a list of points, first x then y

Jéferson Gustavo

Hello everyone, I need your help to create a function, which orders a list of points first by the first element (x), then by the second (y). I need this function to select objects from left to right, top to bottom.
An example to be clearer:
a list of points ((1 2 0) (1 1 0) (2 3 0) (2 1 0) (1 3 0) (2 2 0))
When applying the function returns: ((1 1 0) (1 2 0) (1 3 0) (2 1 0) (2 2 0) (2 3 0)).
Thank you in advance!
Note: forgive my English, I'm using a translator.

9 hours ago, Jéferson Gustavo said:

Hello everyone, I need your help to create a function, which orders a list of points first by the first element (x), then by the second (y). I need this function to select objects from left to right, top to bottom.
An example to be clearer:
a list of points ((1 2 0) (1 1 0) (2 3 0) (2 1 0) (1 3 0) (2 2 0))
When applying the function returns: ((1 1 0) (1 2 0) (1 3 0) (2 1 0) (2 2 0) (2 3 0)).
Thank you in advance!
Note: forgive my English, I'm using a translator.

Try

(setq lst (vl-sort lst '(lambda (x y) (if (= (car x) (car y)) (< (cadr x) (cadr y)) (< (car x) (car y))))))

where lst is the list you wish to sort

This returns as per your post, however this is not left->right top->bottom but left->right bottom->top

If you want top->bottom

(setq s_lst (vl-sort lst '(lambda (x y) (if (= (car x) (car y)) (> (cadr x) (cadr y)) (< (car x) (car y))))))

should work

Edited by dlanorh
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dlanorh said:

Try

(setq lst (vl-sort lst '(lambda (x y) (if (= (car x) (car y)) (< (cadr x) (cadr y)) (< (car x) (car y))))))

where lst is the list you wish to sort

This returns as per your post, however this is not left->right top->bottom but left->right bottom->top

If you want top->bottom

(setq s_lst (vl-sort lst '(lambda (x y) (if (= (car x) (car y)) (> (cadr x) (cadr y)) (< (car x) (car y))))))

should work

Tested it and it worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, Grrr said:

Heres something for a generic grid point sort, also Lee covered that 'Ultimate Sorter' challenge of mine, so it seems alot shorter solution.

I found it more complex, I always take time to understand his codes, but I find it very clean and inspiring, nice code!
Thanks!