Fighter aircraft design tutorial

rocket

This tutorial shows how to design a fighter aircraft in Solidworks surface field. Watch there help you do it.

Full HD tutorial video: https://youtu.be/GrmaTRVixwU

For more information FB: https://www.facebook.com/SolidworksShare/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

I think that what you mean is-

"Draw a fighter aircraft".

Designing an aircraft (or anything else) is a whole different thing involving what materials to use, what engines to use, how to make them, how to fasten things together, when we've done all that will it get off the ground, etc., etc.

OK it"s a bugbear of mine; but drawing a pretty picture is not designing.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 11:51 PM, nukecad said:

I think that what you mean is-

"Draw a fighter aircraft".

Designing an aircraft (or anything else) is a whole different thing involving what materials to use, what engines to use, how to make them, how to fasten things together, when we've done all that will it get off the ground, etc., etc.

OK it"s a bugbear of mine; but drawing a pretty picture is not designing.

As I said: This tutorial is in SolidWorks surface field.

Thanks

I did this last year with autocad lol.

But it was less of a tutorial more of a journal of what problems i had.

The easiest way is to find a drawing that shows cross sections every foot or two.  You insert those at the correct location and it is kind of like you are actually building the actual plane only with 3d objects or meshes.  Loft command works between cross sections.  As does rulesurf to interpolate the mesh shape.

You only have to model half the plane and mirror it all at the end.

I was able to find the manufacturer's drawings online for the F-16E with evenly spaced cross sections (not sure how but it was on the web lol).

I was originally gonna do a hawker hurricane but had some problems and f-16 seemed more fun.

Autocad actually did a surprisingly good job.

Although solidworks would look really neat too.

I have attemped a B1 and an F117.  Had more success with the F117.  The sharp linear edges of an F117 lend themselves well to modeling in something like Autocad as well.

The neat part about this kind of project is you are modeling the aircraft 1:1 scale as it was intended by the manufacturer so it comes together in model space as it was intended too.

SO you feel like you are building a real-deal scale model which is fun.

This is the kind of thing I was doing last year.  I got hired on to a design firm in Anchorage, Alaska but they didn't have anything to do.

So for like 3 or 4 months I did this to make myself look busy.

IT IS challenging.

And it is a problem solving test.

It forces you to retain your ability to think geometrically.

Your mind itself becomes model space.

Edited by ammobake
  • Like 1