The -DWGUNITS command

Hello all,

I've recently been aware of the DWGUNITS command, and have realised that the setting is incorrect in my drawing templates (set to mm rather than metres which I usually work in). The settings in the UNITS command are all correct. The incorrect DWGUNITS setting has never caused my any issues that I’m aware of, over several years of producing drawings and sharing them with others working on projects. Am I correct in thinking that just relates to the insertion of blocks? Which isn’t something I ever really do.

I have tried changing the DWGUNITS settings, but after doing so I forever get the message 'this drawing contains custom objects' when saving even if the DWG is totally empty, even if creating a blank DWG from scratch. I tend to backdate my drawings by default when saving them so that others I work with can open them.

I assume the DWGUNITS being set incorrectly is not an issue, because it’s never caused me any problems, unless there’s something I’m missing?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Thank you tombu, much appreciated. The  UNITS-UNITS & INSUNITS were all correct for me. The INSUNITSDEFSOURCE, & INSUNITSDEFTARGET ones were set to mm. I have changed them to metres. I understand what INSUNITSDEFSOURCE does, but less so INSUNITSDEFTARGET.

Any thoughts on the -DWGUNITS being incorrectly set to mm for me, rather than metres? Is it likely to cause me any problems? I'm inclined to think not given how long it's been like that and how many projects I've worked on with other consultants. If others were having problems with my drawings I would have heard about it years ago.

But perhaps I will correct it and either put up with that 'this drawing contains custom objects' message or just start saving everything in the current version.

If once you set it correctly in a drawing it stays correct it's a template issue, that's where settings stored in drawings should be updated so they'll be correct in new drawings created with them. Otherwise those settings might be getting modified by acaddoc.lsp or other means.

Thank you tombu. I'm still a bit unclear about what changing the units in the -DWGUNITS command actually does, is anyone able to explain that to me?

The    -dwgunits   command is a wonderful tool to simplify and clarify the settings in your drawing; either one you are about to create, or one which you receive and upon which you might

be working.

image.thumb.png.99bb551a857a9425c044e92c90f16f70.png

If I am not mistaken, I believe the default length units for an ISO template (.dwt) are mms.

Meaning that if you enter a value of 1,000, you will be drawing a line one meter in length.

A dimension showing 1000 in the Text means it is one meter long.

Architects tend to prefer working in Meters, so they would likely choose a Drawing Units value of 6, in the previous commandline history.

Drawing a line of   "1"  then means it is one meter long, and a dimension which reads as 1.5  means one and a half meters.

If Han Solo was working on a drawing he would likely opt for the Linear Distance PARSEC, it is just a matter of what one has in mind, and how quickly one expects to get there.  :beer:

image.thumb.png.8a6b1e5bb6d7f7dbf32f5ecd41a9352f.png

Look at the Primary Units tab in OPTIONS, to help you understand the other available commandline questions/options in the command.

image.thumb.png.7e828eb276695bb898d75ce0e9f531b9.png

I hope that helps you get an overview.

Many hundreds of drawings to check at lightspeed, good luck with it.   :pirate:

As you continue on your CAD journey, the SYSVDLG command and dialog will prove immeasurably helpful.

The definitive resource for more quickly learning to use the software, and to make it work in the way that will be best for you.

I favor just scrolling with my cursor through the list,as doing it that way will open momentarily each dialog, you'll learn a lot!

image.thumb.png.bcb3be2df3f21f10f4e223abba88cdb9.png

Edited by Dadgad
game changing addition

Thank you very much for your reply Dadgad!

I like the look of the SYSVDLG command, but after a bit of looking I think that isn't available on LT. Shame!

So my templates have been in 'mm', as far as the setting -DWGUNITS is concerned anyway, but I have been drawing in metres (1unit = 1m). I have had the insertion scale set as 1m in the UNITS command. I'm certain if others working on projects have had problems with my drawings that they would have come back to me by now given it is probably 1000s of sites, so I'm still a bit unclear what effect changing the units in the -DWGUNITS command actually has. Perhaps it just relates to inserting blocks?!

Anyway, I think I will change the -DWGUNITS setting to metres in my template for new jobs, because I like things to be 'right' if possible. 

Many thanks

I apologize, I failed to notice that you are using LT.

I was able to confirm that LT doesn't have SYSVDLG, too bad, as it is really a great tool.

Start with an ISO template, set all the units how you want them to be, Text styles and dimensions how you like them, any favorite layers and other things, leader styles, etc.

Once you have what you like SAVEAS  a .dwt file, give it a name you'll recognize.

Set it as your DEFAULT QNEW template in OPTIONS> Files.

Due diligence-wise it is a great tool to see what you are dealing with when you recieve a new drawing.   :beer:

Thanks very much Dadgad. I've started a new template using the dwt acadltiso. I have adjusted the -DWGUNITS setting to metres. I've set the insertion scale to metres using the UNITS command. I've also checked -UNITS, INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE, & INSUNITSDEFTARGET. I will do some more work e.g. adding drawing sheets, layers, text styles, dimension styles etc and it can become my new template.

Much appreciated cheers 🍻

No need to reinvent the wheel every time you start a new drawing, better to hit the desktop running.

Depending on the kind of work you do, you may want to complete a personal library of .dwt  files, or different specific ones for

different tasks, or vendors, including all of their typical layer names, and related styles.

Glad I could help you, now get back to work!   :huh::beer:

Yes absolutely. I have old templates for different clients, they're very helpful. Still a bit more to do on my new template, but I tried it out on a job earlier. 

Back to work indeed! lol. Cheers  🍻

Just remember that you can save any drawing file as a .DWT, to save any relevant info and settings for another time and use.

Probably want to delete all the linework from Modelspace, leave the Sheet in paperspace, or Modelspace, wherever

it is.   :thumbsup:

Interesting, I did wonder that. Is there any benefit of using a .DWT every time, rather than just a copy of an empty .DWG 'template' which is what I do currently?