Projecting generated sections to lines

Bojan

Hello fellow Autocad users,

I've recently recieved a messy 3d model (consisting of various geometry types) in order to draw section plans from them. First I tried to generate a floorplan with Autocads "Generate Section/Elevation" tool, thus recieving the projection as intelligent object. In order to draw the plans cleanly from the messy projection I want to transform the projection into a linegrafic, but I can't find a way to edit the projections without crashing Autocad. I also can't use flatshot since the projection is not a Brep. Is there any way to transform the projection into a line grafik, or another alternative to generate cross sections?

I've attached an image to depict the problem (I use a german version of AutoCad architecture 2020).

Thank you in advance!

Autocad problem.png

I'm not familiar with the tools available in Autocad Architecture, but in plain Autocad, you can use the VIEWBASE command to generate views and sections. I know you said it's a messy model though, with various geometry types, so that may present problems no matter what method you use to create sections.

33 minutes ago, f700es said:

Um, 'Viewbase' command runs in Acad Arch 2021 for me.

Yep, you're right. I guess I should have double checked. :oops: The Autodesk Knowledge Network say that it is available in Autocad Architecture. But it also says it's only available on 64 bit systems. Maybe the OP is running it on a 32 bit system?

Viewbase.jpg

Im sorry for the late response.

Since last time I've posted, I circumvented the problem by importing lineworksections from Rhino instead. 

1 hour ago, f700es said:

Also can't you just explode your live section to make it just lineowrk?

I've tried this at first, but exploding the sections just caused my AutoCad to crash unfortunately.

I also opened a file explorer when using "viewbase".

Thank you all for continuing this discussion. 

Hmm, something going on then. I was able to explode the Live Elevation I made in my test drawing. Can you copy this elevation from your active drawing (ctrl-c), save your drawing and close it. Open a new blank drawing and paste in your elevation and then try to explode?