Why is this drawing super laggy?

Kurpulio

I noticed there are certain drawings, which aren't that big, but are very lagy and hard to handle.

I attached one, some work laptops here can't even open it, or zooming out takes 20 sec.

I use much bigger drawings than this which aren't laggy like this.

I wanted to know what causes this, and if there's a way to fix it.

I noticed, that if i copy everything and paste it on a new drawing, it won't be that much laggy.

Thanks for help

lagtest1.dwg

Edited by Kurpulio

Try running a -PURGE on the drawing.  I did, using NanoCAD, and the new version of the drawing opened much quicker.  The file size also decreased.

• Like 1

I've not opened the drawing, but does it have much in the way of hatching?

We often deal with drawings that have large areas of "dot" hatching - sometimes to represent tarmac road, or perhaps grass planting.  This can sometimes cause an apparently small drawing to become laggy because while the hatch definition takes up little spaces, there's a lot of calculation to be done to render all those little dots.

dJE

Lots inside the Block References as well. Also, shows a Solid, which I was unable to select with QSelect, so most likely inside a block somewhere. -PURGE definitely helped, right away.

I saw little improvement deleting the Hatches, so at least they do not seem much problem on this one, though deleting the Wipeouts seemed to improve it.

The drawing has been badly treated, all dimensions exploded, but for some reason what would normally result in lines the dimension lines have been turned into polylines, and many objects that would have been originally blocks are just collections of polylines (WC, chairs etc) was this drwing at some point converted from a PDF?

• Like 1

I know I have an elderly version of AutoCAD, but these instances are a challenge to me. After converting to my version, the speed improved immensely when I set SHADEMODE to 2D.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eldon said:

I know I have an elderly version of AutoCAD, but these instances are a challenge to me. After converting to my version, the speed improved immensely when I set SHADEMODE to 2D.

I missed that, indeed the ucsicon is showing in it's 3D version. I saw a similar problem this week over on the AutoCAD Forums the problem there was being caused after using the 'ARRAYEDIT' command and caused similar problems.

There is alot there.  But yeah as soon as I opened it I got a message about 3D performance.

However no 3D data in the drawing.

I then realized he is using "realistic" visual style.  When there are no 3d objects to view in a "realistic" context.

If you change this to 2D wireframe the performance will improve pretty drastically.

There aren't many blocks or hatching from what I can tell.  No dimensions either.

My guess is he/she exploded many of these objects to improve performance.

But IMO it is a visual style issue.

-ChriS

• Like 1

Thanks for helps!

Yeah it was a drawing converted from a PDF.

SHADEMODE -> 2D solved the lag completely, thanks! didnt know this thing existed