Pipe Scheduling

DonovanPorter

Good Morning.

I have been working on setting up a pipe schedule for my current project.

Prior to Revit i was using AutoCAD for piping and scheduling which was very tedious.

However the pipe schedule format is prefered by our suppliers/contractors and clients and we want to keep the format.

i have attached a image for reference (Labeled Example).

The AutoCAD schedule was done manually.

I have created a relatively automated Revit Schedule, but it needs more refinement and i do not know how to proceed.

i have added screen shots to show the schedule i have created.

I have used a Tag family to tag the pipe fittings according to my sequence. (This is fine)

The comments (description) i have to manually type. (I would like this Automated including the length of the pipe/angle of the elbow/distance the puddle flange is from the flange etc taken from the fitting)

The image is a screen shot which is added as a image (this is not ideal , i would like an image that can be dimensioned as in the AutoCAD schedule or as in a window or door legend.)

The count is calculated by the number of pipes that have the same tag (This is fine)

so this is my goal, and i feel that it should be doable, i just do not know how to go about making it happen.

any advice, tips tricks or guidance would be really appreciated 

Example.JPG

Revit Schedule Setup.JPG

Revit Schedule 1.JPG

You'll have to bend to Revit's will on this one. My suggestion to you is to first accept that you will not achieve an exact replica of your previous workflow with automated data, simply because your previous workflow was a completely manual system and you're now using an automated system that is based on logic and has pre-defined limitations which can only be overcome through custom programming. 

That aside, here are some suggestions for you to try and see how it works for you. 

1. The description will be a manual entry, and should be, since it's giving precise instruction that is unique compared to every other part (from what I can tell). How you're doing it is fine. 
  2. I would consider removing as much from the description column as possible that could be automated. For instance, pipe sizes and pipe lengths. Create new columns for this and let it be automated for QAQC purposes. Utilize the power of bidirectional data that's populated automatically. 
  3. I could be wrong, but as of now I don't think there's any way to achieve the dimensioning inside the graphic itself, so you'll have to remove that from your workflow. 
    1. With that said, look into a new workflow such as utilizing Assemblies. This is a great way to create automated spools, to which you could place callout bubbles very easily and tag in these auto-generated views and sheets.

Hope that helps. If you need more Revit help, may want to check out RevitForum.org, there's a lot more activity for Revit specific topics and there are a handful of gurus specific to the MEP disciplines (in case you don't get much responses on CADTutor). 

-TZ