Select points from point cloud and make aproximate planar surface

ibach

I'd really love to be able to select points from a point cloud and create a planar surface from selected coordinates. Further on I'd like to be able to select the points to be used as polygon boundary of that surface.

So... Pick a lot of points from the point cloud, select points for boundary vertices, calculate the middle value of x, y, z for all selected points, not taking the boundary vertices into the account for the direction of the plane but projecting them onto the calculated plane as a boundary vertices only, create the planar shape in the calculated plane.

Given a set of 3D points you could determine the equation of a least squares fit plane using an approach outlined here (I like method #2).  Once you have the equation of the plane you could project the “boundary vertices” to the plane and use a 3dpoly to connect them or set a UCS to the plane and create a polyline

I created the attached Excel file to calculate the best fit plane to a set of 3D points.  It uses the Least Squares Fit method so it minimizes the error in the z direction.  It is good for planes that are not too inclined from the xy plane.  Vertical planes are a problem.

@ibach if this fulfills the first part of your request I could enhance it to project specified points to the plane.

image.thumb.png.2fd364549d4b0f44acbd5c632f5ba94f.png

image.png.16650d64aeeb9658cea0ccf5a7211d85.png

image.png

image.png

point cloud 1.zip