Confusing Serial Number

RepCad

Hi all,

I'm trying to obtain Hard Disk  Physical serial number and I'm doing it with this method :

"Select SerialNumber,Tag from Win32_PhysicalMedia"

It returns an confusing  serial number

"32533138314a5a4b303436313934202020202020"

While the real Serial number of Hard Disk  is :

"S281J1KZ401649"

Does someone know what the problem is?

The returned serial number consists of heximal numbers that are the ASCII codes of the letters in the 'real' number. Additionally each pair of letters appears reversed. The returned serial ends in a number of spaces.

x32 -> 50 -> "2"

x53 -> 83 -> "S"

x31 -> 49 -> "1"

x38 -> 56 -> "8"

etc.

Edited by Roy_043
  • Like 1

Thank you for your clear explanation, but what about this serial number of other system :

“194395475601” 

Is that a heximal numbers or a real HDD serial? 

Edited by amir0914

It's Hexidecimal, a base 16 computer numbering system used internally by the  software after it's compiled.  You can convert it using a number conversion website.

The hex(idecimal) digits are 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F. 

convert.png

Edited by Dana W
correct spelling
  • Like 2

You haven't lived until you have had to learn formulas to convert binary, and base 16 (hexadecimal), to base 10 (decimal) numbers.

You may be retrieving the wrong data item.  Then again, my wireless router and a few other items have a straight up hexadecimal serial number.

• Like 2

Probably “194395475601” is a 'real' serial. It does not follow the rules that seem to apply to the 'returned' number in your OP. For one thing the number of characters is uneven. But why do you ask? You must know how you have retrieved the number.

But “194395475601” can also be a hex number.

• Like 1

Thank you both for replying, actually in a project I need to retrieve some information of Hard Disk like name,caption,serial.. I only have problem with the serial number so that it gives an uneven serial and I realized that I have to convert it to the original form from your explanation, but it's important to know if it's a hex or not. Do I really need to convert it?  it's hard to say because an original serial number may be only numbers or between A to F, like the second serial that I mentioned.

is there another method to get the serial number in its original form (without need to convert)?? I think it's possible because some tools like HDDSCAN does that easily.

Edited by amir0914