Suggestion for new Laptop

nidhi singhania

Hello..

Can someone please help me.

I am willing to buy a laptop under $500, which I will use majorly for my work(Interior Design). The software's which I will be using are:

AutoCad 2017 or above

Google Sketchup

Photoshop 

MS Office etc.

With extensive research on Designs.

Please help me with best suited configuration required, for my use in my budget. Also , should I buy AMD Ryzen laptop or Intel?

Thank you.

Hope everyone is safe and taking precautions in this pandemic situation.

Edited by nidhi singhania

Considering your price point of $500, or less, I think that at a minimum you would be looking at a laptop built upon the 10th generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 don't you?  Unfortunately at that price you don't get a dedicated graphics card nor do you get an optical drive and it would most likely come with just 8GB of RAM. 

• Like 1

Well, in India , I am getting i3 - 7th or 8 th generation in my budget, with 4 GB RAM. So, I was a bit skeptical, about the performance etc. It will be difficult for me to increase my budget as of now. Mostly, I will be working on 2D and photoshop.

Should I consider AMD Ryzen or Intel laptop?

I am highly confused, please help.

4GB RAM is not even worth looking at. These days you need 8GB RAM minimum, especially if you're going to be working on any sort of large files in Photoshop or doing any 3D work. 4GB just isn't going to cut it.

• Like 2

Like cad64 the Ram is very important if you can add it do 16gb. We took a couple of old pc 4gb made into 8GB Autocad performance increase was amazing.

• Like 1

Thank you for your advice.

Should I consider 8 GB RAM with AMD Ryzen 5. In future , I can expand it to 12 GB.

Or should I choose Intel!!

11 hours ago, nidhi singhania said:

Should I consider 8 GB RAM with AMD Ryzen 5. In future , I can expand it to 12 GB.

Or should I choose Intel!!

Either one should work fine, but which Ryzen 5 are you looking at? The cheapest one I found is the Ryzen 5 1400. If I were you, I would go with the Ryzen 5 1600x. It's about $100 more than the 1400, but it's going to be faster and more powerful. Also, RAM is cheap, so if you can afford it, go with 12GB.

• Like 2

I am talking about AMD Ryzen 5 3500U.

Also, which AutoCad , Photoshop, Google SketchUp & 3DS Max version should I use in this configuration, so that my Laptop works smoothly.

6 hours ago, nidhi singhania said:

Also, which AutoCad , Photoshop, Google SketchUp & 3DS Max version should I use in this configuration, so that my Laptop works smoothly.

Use whatever versions of those programs that you have, but I don't know how well 3ds Max is going to perform on a laptop with that processor. You will probably have issues with large scenes, and rendering will probably take a long time with only 4 cores and 8GB RAM. That's why I always tell people to get a desktop PC if they want to do 3D work. You need a fast processor with at least 8 cores, a decent graphics card and at least 16GB RAM. Also, a desktop PC allows for better cooling since rendering tends to generate a lot of heat.

• Like 1

Well, what I have planned to zero on, is 

LENOVO IDEAPAD S145 (81UT0079IN) LAPTOP (AMD QUAD CORE RYZEN 5/8 GB/1 TB/WINDOWS 10)

There are few brand options as well with same configuration , Acer & Asus.

Screenshot of Specifications of the model, is added.

I am not promoting any brand here, just sharing my choice, as per my budget and availability.

By Lenovo

Screenshot_20200618-014229.png

Screenshot_20200618-014221.png

5 hours ago, Cad64 said:

Use whatever versions of those programs that you have, but I don't know how well 3ds Max is going to perform on a laptop with that processor. You will probably have issues with large scenes, and rendering will probably take a long time with only 4 cores and 8GB RAM. That's why I always tell people to get a desktop PC if they want to do 3D work. You need a fast processor with at least 8 cores, a decent graphics card and at least 16GB RAM. Also, a desktop PC allows for better cooling since rendering tends to generate a lot of heat.

You are right, but I will have to travel, hence going for Laptop.

Also, I won't be doing much of 3d work, I majorly work on 2d's and Photoshop.

The RAM in model , mentioned in the post before this,  can be expanded to 12 GB, if required.

So thought, this is a safe option to choose.

Actually, there are so many options in the market, and me having almost zero IT knowledge, is getting highly confused.

1 hour ago, f700es said:

Get the best Ryzen with the most ram you can afford at $500 budget.

Actually, I think f700es gave you the best advice so far. Get the best and the most that you can afford. There's not much more to say than that. ;)

• Like 1

At that price point I'd get a ryzen over Intel as the amd graphics will be better than the Intel graphics. You can add an m.2 sad later if it doesn't already have one.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cad64 said:

Are you still using Autocad 2015? If so, I think that Lenovo laptop should be ok.

Well, planning to shift to the latest version.

You should still be fine. I am using Acad 2021 at home on a 4th gen Intel i5 just fine. 12 gb ddr3 and an nvidia gtx 650 ti. No issues at all.

• Like 1