Architectural Designer

Raymond Carreon

MicroStation: I need help in making a PDF that will allow the printer to make the line thicknesses you need or use.

The problem is: I use one of the original software editions...MicroStation 95. I know your probably laughing< I know I would be.

But it's what I started with it's what I stayed with.

I don't do it as a living.

I've tried to working with the "Pint" setting but I can't make it to work.

I the newer software's also us Pins so I;m sure the tools are the same. 

I just never have a need to use it.

The print shop in my area, would print my work to the correct lines weights based on the colors I used. They changed computers and printing matchines and they no nonger can do it using the line color method.

If you think you can help, PLEASE contact me as I am at the end of my rode.

Thank you;

Raymond

xxx-xxx-xxxx

carreonarchitecture<at>gmail<dot>com

Hi Ray, I edited your post to remove your phone number and edited your email as to slow down spammers. Can you post the dgn file here for us to play with?

Sean

Hi Sean;

Thank you. First time on a site like this.

I am a retired CTE instructor.

Hope you can open this drawing dgn file.

I appreciate whatever or however you can help me.

Thanks;

Raymond Carreon

polanski.dgn

Hi Ray, I can open it with AutoCAD 2021, no issue there, but I don't know what layers you want thicker or what colors you want thicker when printing. Nice drawing btw ;)
I'm going to take a stab at it but what size paper do you want the PDF?

Sean

Sean;

What I need to be able to do, is make PDF's that printout with different line weights.

i blueprint printed out have have different lines weights.

I know I have to set up PEN weights but I just can make it work.

Raymond

Well, I can't help you in uStation 95 as I don't have it but we can help you in an AutoCAD clone. Your file had some issues but I bet that was caused by the dgn to dwg translation :(
Did you look at the PDF I made?

Sean

Sean,

I opened the PDF u sent me of my drawing.

It's exactly what I want to do. It's a PDF and it shows the different lines weights.

I'm sure the process to create a PDF that maintains it's line weight is different from AutoCad and MicroStation.

Is there a MicroStation person that might be able to help?

Thanks Rayomd

Ray here is what I did in AutoCAD so maybe there is a way to duplicate in Microstation;
When I opened up your drawing I saw that most of what I would consider "bold lines" were colored Blue, Green and Red.
Ray-1.thumb.jpg.be4039efc51e3e6f80f1726ebcbb049e.jpg

While the drawing had layers (levels in microstation?) these were all set to white so I couldn't set a width by color there.
Ray-2.thumb.jpg.74942ed4a1970909990c1d1aa70e1b3d.jpg

So went into my plot settings and set up a Plot Style Table to print all colors at .05mm and Red, Green and Blue to print at .2mm.
I printed to a PDF this way and got the desired look that I think you where after.
Ray-3.thumb.jpg.71c2c75f5faafd405ab4482e982247a9.jpg

Do a Google search on plotting by color in Microstation 95. I would bet that there is a way to do it.
I hope this helps sir.

Sean

I'm sure the process to create a PDF that maintains it's line weight is different from AutoCad and MicroStation.

Did you google printing line weights Microstation it should have help available. I found something in about 10 seconds, so should you. I have not posted page link on purpose you should look for yourself first.

"It's correct, in MicroStation line weights are identified by their numbers (0 - 31) and when displayed, the weights are independent from zoom level, so they can be treated as "virtual". How the weights are displayed can be configured in User Preferences dialog.

How the weights are printed is separated from how they are displayed. In fact there are more ways how to define "paper line weight". In my opinion the simpliest is to use Weight Mapping in printer configuration file"