Thank you ! Update about my course completion and a possible job offer

Rave

Hello ! 

Thank you for all your help form here especially from @ReMark and a lot of other people. I have completed my diploma course with penn foster in November and received the degree. I started applying for jobs , and it was just a few days back I got a call back from a medical device manufacturing company for a quality inspection planner position. It involves blueprint reading and quality planning using softwares like Inspectionspark . I would love to know any inside details or what really goes in such a job profile. Theirs is a manufacturing company and this is a position in their quality department. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. My interview is scheduled for tomorrow and it's the first of such a kind in this field for me. I have been brushing on my manual drafting knowledge from the course at Penn Foster but still quite tensed about tomorrow 😬😊

QC jobs in any setting are important positions.  So they must trust your skillset.  As with all QC jobs most of the job is filling out daily reports or inspection reports - its alot of paperwork.

But QC also requires a deep knowledge of your field and ability to problem solve on the fly.

In construction, QC personnel must be able to understand construction to the extent that they know when something is either wrong or the contractor is trying to cut corners.  That requires you to contain quite a bit of knowledge/understanding of your trade and to communicate very well.

QC folks i've met in construction over the years are remarkably knowledgeable (for the most part).  There have been a couple exceptions... lol.

ChriS

Well I have put everything in my resume as honestly as I can imagine. I am not one who keeps adding stuff to my resume to make it look like I had years of experience doing all this. And moreover that kind of resume marketing doesn't gel with my confidence/ethic level in an interview Lol. Having a bachelor's degree in engineering but no experience in the field from the time I graduated 15 yrs ago , I sometimes feel that in order to not give an impression that I have engineering skills (not) ,I should omit that piece of info. But then again I am not being honest about my education aren't I ,lol. That's the kind of situation I am in currently. 

Also it is an entry level salary. So I hope they are looking for that skill level. I have already mentioned in my resume that I have basic knowledge in autocad. 

Edited by Rave

A bachelors degree goes far - that's the power it has.  And from what I've seen it really doesn't matter what the degree is in.  The best construction manager I've ever worked with had a bachelors in aerospace engineering...  In no way related.  I know mechanical engineers that end up working in construction.  I actually know one guy - funny story- he got a bachelors in civil engineering and then became a drafter as he learned he liked it more.

But a 6 year degree shows you can take responsibility too.

And the pay is better lol.

If you do have a 6 year degree I also recommend checking out some of the opportunities on USAjobs.gov.  There are alot of really important jobs there that require a degree to get paid well.

Many of them are GSA positions that are guaranteed to be stable long term jobs.

I also recommend checking out los alamos and lawrence livermore.  I know some great people that work at both.

They are doing important work behind the scenes.

These positions do require a security clearance, however.  And it's a long process.

I applied at lawrence livermore a couple years ago.

Im ex-military so I had a clearance for munitions systems from back then.

I applied for the job in August 2017.

In September 2018 I was told I was among 2 finalists for the job (13 months later).

They ended up selecting the other guy.

lol.  And I knew a guy that worked there vouching for me too.

BUT it is important work they are doing there and it supports the country.

Work groups are isolated into "islands" if you will for security purposes.  But dont' want to divulge too much.

-ChriS

Edited by ammobake
  • Like 2

Thank you for this detailed information. I appreciate you taking the time to share it here. I will certainly check the resources you mentioned. 

Also thank you for your services ! 

Edited by Rave