3D Building - I need 2D Layouts

NathanN

Hi all, 

I am doing a Uni assignment and we have been given a crude 3D model of a ficticious building in CAD. The file contains a bunch of sheets with 2D views (drawing views) of the building levels and elevation etc. But our task is to design the MEP services for the building and does not require any 3D work so not quite sure why we have a 3D model.

My problem is that I need the levels in 2D in model space for me draw my designs but I have never done any 3D CAD work before and have no idea how to get the output I need. I just want them as archtectural layouts like what is in the drawing views. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan.

Well you can always copy a layout tab and rename it as "Typ Office Level HVAC Plan"? You can then draw in the needed items using Acad MEP. You should have access to it as a student. I don't use it so I can't offer advice in using that, sorry. I hope some others can.
Good luck

Thanks f700es,

As a last resort I think thats what I may have to do. But would much prefer the layout in the model space if possible. Or even if I could import it into Revit, but that has its only problems. 

Ideally I would love to be able to import a 2D layout into Revit so I could model my MEP services in there using my families and scheduling etc. 

Other than breaking the 3D model down I dont know what else to do. I really have no experiance 3D CAD and it's settings etc. 

Yeah this is a real goofy setup. The layout tabs have views and not view ports. Sorry Nathan, I'm not a lot of help. I even installed MEP but still could not add things to the sheet views. Yeah Revit would be easier and our Revit experts could help a lot.

Thanks again f700es.

I am ok with Revit but I know there are issues with importing a 3D CAD into Revit as it appears as solid block and doesn't work with levels/view ranges.

As I am only producing 2D outputs I only really need those 2D layouts in a DWG format.

I will ask the Revit experts for some advice, but if any one else is able work this out here please feel free to give it a go. I would be very appreciative. 

Thanks again!

I would use EXPORTLAYOUT on each layout for the floor plans.  That will move everything to model space.  Then move the items that should be in paperspace with the CHSPACE command.  You do this part in paperspace with a viewport created and set to the proper scale, then through the viewport you invoke the CHSPACE command and pick everything you want in PS and hit enter.  That should get you close.

There are other methods but they would all involve the EXPORTLAYOUT command and alternate methods to merge the files together with the floor plan in MS and everything that started in PS to be inserted or remain in PS.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 2:44 AM, f700es said:

Yeah this is a real goofy setup. The layout tabs have views and not view ports. Sorry Nathan, I'm not a lot of help. I even installed MEP but still could not add things to the sheet views. Yeah Revit would be easier and our Revit experts could help a lot.

Those sound like VIEWBASE generated views on the layouts.

I suspect that you were given the 3D Model to enable you to use that functionality.

Edited by Dadgad
afterthought