AutoCAD 2021 Freezes changing from Model to Layouts

MichaelAllfire

Hi all,

Our design team, all using AutoCAD 2021, is facing an issue where sometimes (not every time, but maybe 3 or 4 times a day each) when changing from Model space to any paper space layout, CAD will freeze and become unrecoverable.

Our computers easily meet the requirements for AutoCAD, and it is happening across both desktop and laptop workstations. We have tried various fixes by changing certain system variables etc, but nothing has fixed the issue.

According to my boss, this problem has occurred as far back as the 2017 version of CAD. Does anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose this most frustrating problem?

Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, MichaelAllfire said:

Our computers easily meet the requirements for AutoCAD, and it is happening across both desktop and laptop workstations.

Are the video cards certified by Autodesk? That one is often overlooked.

Like Robdraw if you have 2 graphics card like onboard Intel & Nvidia most computers particuarly laptops are like this,  make sure it is set to run the Nvidia when in Autocad. Now where is it its in settings will try to find.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem, look up the Autodesk certified graphics driver for my card and installed it, completely solved the problem. I have pushed everything at it to crash and it is fixed. 

For complete n00bs like me (when it comes to video cards), go to Options, System tab, Graphics Performance button. That will tell you which card AutoCAD is using and which driver. The same pane includes the Tuner Log, which may help with diagnosing the problem.