Was this Helpful?

Lee Mac

Just an idea, has been knocking around for a while.

Why don't we have an option next to each post that a user makes with a "was this helpful" button? (maybe a thumbsup/thumbsdown symbol), then, users can collect "points" from how helpful their posts have been...

The reason I say this is that it would inspire users to provide better answers to questions (not that the answers on here are bad - far from it!), as they would want to achieve a "was this helpful" point... :)

example.jpg

Points can be turned in at the end of the calendar year for valuable prizes like a CADTutor tee shirt that reads:

I scored (points) and this tee shirt at CADTutor.net!

Points can be turned in at the end of the calendar year for valuable prizes like a CADTutor tee shirt that reads:

I scored (points) and this tee shirt at CADTutor.net!

Great idea ReMark! - more advertising :)

As they say - "points mean prizes!" :P

meh....

points not wanted, it's not a competition... the sometimes too infrequent 'thanks' is nice though.

ZOMG! don't u wantz to win the internets???!!!!111!!!

:lol:

I like prizes. How many points do I need to win a new motorcycle?:lol:

It's a simple formula, just divide the value of the prize by the value of a point. . .

Anyone know what "DIVIDE BY ZERO ERROR" means:unsure:

Anyone know what "DIVIDE BY ZERO ERROR" means:unsure:

Means you have just created a vortex somewhere on the planet which will suck another helpless civilisation into its great depths... :shock:

div0.jpg

VBulletin boards have a reputation system, all the Admins need to do is enable it.
the thread rating system IS enabled on this site, but nobody uses it :wink:

A rating system for each post would have a negative impact upon this forum if anything - currently members are happy to have a stab at all kinds of badly phrased or information-short thread questions, but if their reputation was at stake taking a stab in the dark, that could easily change

Our threads also act as discussion points as AutoCAD generally has more than one way to skin a cat, resulting in 3 different suggestions, and a discussion between the people who have made those suggestions, and even if the OP forgets to come back and read the suggestions, our members have usually learned something along the way too :D

Now how do you rate that? :wink:

VBulletin boards have a reputation system, all the Admins need to do is enable it.

That's quite right, there is a member rating system which is currently turned off and is independent of the thread rating system. In the early days of the board we considered it unecessary to use the member rating system because just about everyone knew who everyone else was and so it was clear who the experts were and therefore how to rate the quality of their advice. I guess we could rethink this now in view of the fact that the forum has grown so much. A rating system would help new forum members to see who are the most respected members rather than simply who has made the most posts.

What do we think?

I kind of like the idea so long as its more of a "Mark this post helpful" only feature. Either rated good or nothing at all. We don't really need competition, but sometimes it's nice to see if everyone thinks you're just blowing smoke...

...There I resisted the urge for a Michael Phelps joke :D

I quite like how it works at the moment - where each post stands on its own merits

we don't have anybody who posts rubbish on purpose, or to mislead, so is there any value in such a system?

Networking sites have problems with members maliciously down rating other members, so would this just be something else the mods are going to have to add to their 'to do' list?

I quite like how it works at the moment - where each post stands on its own merits

I agree

I think this type of system would just cause unnecessary competition. We're all here to help each other, right? It's not about competition, is it? :unsure:

I've also seen other boards where a member will offer a suggestion to resolve the problem and then immediately start reminding the OP to 'Rep' them. Then, if they don't get their reputation boosted, they start whining about it. It tends to get a little pathetic after a while. :roll:

You guys raise some good points here - I must admit, I didn't think of it like that :oops:

I can understand about people whining about not getted "repped" and it reminds me of the feedback ratings on eBay now that your mention it. - I can see how this would become rather pathetic.

Thanks guys,

Lee