About uniting

vasilikit4

Hi, i downloaded sketchup 2017 in order to open a sketchup file and export it as .dwg . Then i inserted the dwg file in autocad 2017 and tried to unite it with the drawing i had prepared. But they do not unite.. what's going wrong?

It would help if you explained what uniting is in this case, are you actually trying to union solids or do you mean something else? What are the objects? What commands are you using? what does the command line say if there are error messages?

On 2/18/2021 at 9:12 PM, ReMark said:

Do you mean you are trying to "UNION" the objects?  Are they 3D solids?

yes with the command "union" and they are 3d solids!

On 2/18/2021 at 3:51 PM, steven-g said:

It would help if you explained what uniting is in this case, are you actually trying to union solids or do you mean something else? What are the objects? What commands are you using? what does the command line say if there are error messages?

im trying to union 3d solids . one that i drew and the exported sketchup object, after inserting it to my drawing (as dwg). i amj using the command union and the error message is : At least 2 solids, surfaces, or coplanar regions must be selected

If you select the items what does the properties palette tell you these items are? Very possibly not solids. Is it possible to post the .dwg file here so someone could check for any problems.

In order to import the Sketchup object into AutoCAD it had to have been properly exported as a 3D Model.  Is this what you did?  You also must specify the version of AutoCAD you would like to use to open the file.

1. In SketchUp, select File > Export > 3D Model. The Export Model dialog box appears.

On 2/20/2021 at 12:04 PM, vasilikit4 said:

im trying to union 3d solids . one that i drew and the exported sketchup object, after inserting it to my drawing (as dwg). i amj using the command union and the error message is : At least 2 solids, surfaces, or coplanar regions must be selected

3D models that are created in another program and then imported into Autocad will not be 3D solids. As Steven-g mentioned, check the properties of the imported objects. They are most likely meshes, not solids.

• Like 1

Correct Cad64. SU is a surface modeler so all of it items will be surfaces :(
Here is a screen shot of a comparison between AutoCAD's SU import and a SketchUp dwg export...

Screenshot_1.jpg