how to join two lines together in order that I may convert my

sketch into a Polyline. The separation is very tiny but Acad

will not allow converting to Polyline.

Thank you,

Ezra Reshevsky

UFO Import.dwg A.dwg

Fix all of the gaps.

I found one gap of.... 

Distance = 0.00016738,  Angle in XY Plane = 90.00000000,  Angle from XY Plane = 0.00000000
Delta X = 0.00000000,  Delta Y = 0.00016738,   Delta Z = 0.00000000

Another of.....

Distance = 0.01362220,  Angle in XY Plane = 271.30793249,  Angle from XY Plane = 0.00000000
Delta X = 0.00031094,  Delta Y = -0.01361865,   Delta Z = 0.00000000

Another of.....

Distance = 0.00000001,  Angle in XY Plane = 194.55636219,  Angle from XY Plane = 0.00000000
Delta X = -0.00000001,  Delta Y = 0.00000000,   Delta Z = 0.00000000

Or .......... if you don't care how the gaps are filled, EXPLODE ALL, the PEDIT > M > J (set jointype to Both), give it a fuzz distance of 1.0, and voila.... a closed polyline.

• Like 1

@ezra  I think it would be worth your time to learn about the object snapping features of AutoCAD.  Do a search for "AutoCAD osnap tutorial". Understanding object snaps  will help you make drawing that do not have unwanted gaps.

9 hours ago, lrm said:

@ezra  I think it would be worth your time to learn about the object snapping features of AutoCAD.  Do a search for "AutoCAD osnap tutorial". Understanding object snaps  will help you make drawing that do not have unwanted gaps.

Looks like some type of import from something and/or somewhere (hence the name with Import). Not sure Snaps would be relevant.

As mentioned, problem with using the Pedit>Join is you never know how they will join, I usually start with a small gap tolerance and get larger until I think I just need to physically make the connections. If it is too many to do one at a time, you need to work on a better source and/or a better method for the import.

Maybe provide more information on the use of this and what and where it was imported, etc.

I've also ran into this problem with 2007. No matter what I done the lines would  not join. I think it has to do with how they were made but I'm not sure.

Sometimes it would be as simple as copy and pasting one part (line/figure) and replacing the old part with it. Other times I would just draw another and for some reason it would join. Even if I used pedit then join and even if it asked me did I want to turn it into a polyline it would not.

I just kept fiddling with it till it worked. I guess what I'm saying is it might not be the same reason every time so a one thing fits all approach might not work.

@ezra Sorry I don't see a UFO.

Edited by Berzerker

If you FILLET a polyline with a line, you close the gap and extend the polyline in one step. You can temporarily replace the current radius with zero by holding down the Shift key (I did not know that!). You can also FILLET two polylines together.

• Like 1

There are several problems with the geometry that are making it difficult to convert it totally to a closed polyline.  There are gaps in the profile at "A" and overlapping line/arc segments at "B", small (0.0025) jogs at "C" and "D, and an extraneous vertex at "E".  Some of these problem could be fixed with zero fillets or chamfers or join with a fuzz factor but some would not.  I think it would be better to explode the entire outline to lines and arcs and closely examine the noted problem area endpoints for gaps and overlaps and fix them before converting to a single polyline.  Depending on the downstream use of the geometry you may want to consider deleting the upper half and use offset to create a new version based on your fixed bottom profile.  Also, is it important that adjacent arcs are tangent?  If so they aren't at A or B for example. You may want to also fix this. 

image.thumb.png.a1c951a63fb792cb8e25cc8738e7d629.png