Sharing help

Jamin

Welcome to CADTutor Jamin.  :)

It could be saved and printed as a PDF.

Or do you actually want to share the.dwg file?

If that is it, and they don't have Autocad, they can download

one of these from Autodesk products.

I am sure there are numerous other Free viewers, some of which may be even better, but

I know nothing about any of them.   :|

The techniques would not be part of a .dwg file, but if you send the actual .dwg file, and they have Autocad

or any other software which can open .dwg files, they would likely have the tools of which you speak.

Edited by Dadgad
I'm so old.

Thanks for your input. 
The building company have asked for the dwg but the draftsman is concerned that they will see her tools and so forth, she is not comfortable with this. 

We wanted to know if it’s possible to share the dwg and remove these things from it. 

What are these 'tools' we are used to talking in actual AutoCAD terms, commands, variables etc. Unfortunately we cannot see your file and what it contains so can you explain in AutoCAD terms what you are refering too?

• Like 1

I’m sorry I don’t know? I have zero experience with autocad / drawings. 
Im researching as to why the draftsman is so against sharing her file. 
she says she doesn’t want to share her files? 

Sorry I can’t share anymore info. 

12 hours ago, Jamin said:

Hi there,

Can an autocad file be shared from a draftsman to a building company without sharing the tools and techniques?? 

Extra tools are usually lisp routines, which are not transferred with the drawing. Techniques are the way that the end result is produced and are within the draftsman.

If you have any complex linetypes, then the second user would have to have the shape files to see the shapes, and the font file if it was a non standard one.

You could DXFOUT with entities only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you need a new draftsman. Can they explain exactly what the concern is about?

Since what I draw on company time belongs to the company, I am required to send what my bosses ask me to send.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jamin said:

Hi there,

Can an autocad file be shared from a draftsman to a building company without sharing the tools and techniques?? 

Since when does the draftsman decide what is going to be included in a drawing?  If the company is obligated to provide a client with a drawing then they must do so or they risk losing the client's business.  Ask the draftswoman to name the specific tools and techniques she is "unwilling" to share.  Then remind her the company is not obligated to retain her as an employee.

• Like 2

Sorry for that, but in this case you get what you pay for and looks like you are going to lose your business for going the cheap route.

Like stated, there is no legitimate reason for the draftsperson to be worried about sharing tools and techniques.

1 hour ago, SLW210 said:

Sorry for that, but in this case you get what you pay for and looks like you are going to lose your business for going the cheap route.

Like stated, there is no legitimate reason for the draftsperson to be worried about sharing tools 

1 hour ago, SLW210 said:

Like stated, there is no legitimate reason for the draftsperson to be worried about sharing tools and techniques.

You’re one of those interweb fuckwits hey

• Dislike 2

Totally inappropriate response Jamin.

Good luck with your next CAD problem.   :nono:

The members who have posted in this thread include 2 forum moderators and collectively have a total of about 65,000 posts.   :|

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve taken offence to the fool with the hulk profile he was not helpful and  hasn’t read my responses then gives me the SMH, c’mon..

I was only after some clarity around something I clearly don’t understand. 

I’ll be deactivating my acct ASAP. 

• Like 1

You have wasted everyone's time is all I see.

You started with sharing tools and techniques and ended with needing to remove sensitive information.

I stand by my statement, you get what you pay for, you should hire an actual draftsperson. You won't get far with a draftsperson that won't share files, nor your bad attitude.

Seems you are the one with the problem and the poor attitude.

Come to think of it, I'd wager the draftsman is using an illegitimate CAD Software and wanted to make sure nothing was in the CAD file to indicate this.