Transferring perpetual licenses

Roy

I've been trying to understand if it's legal & possible to sell 6 AutoCAD 2019 standalone perpetual licenses for hours now and getting virtually nowhere.  I provided IT support for a small engineering firm in Canada that's shutting down as one of the owners passed away and have been tasked with selling off any computer related assets.  Information on perpetual licenses on Autodesk's site seems to be well hidden, and elsewhere, I'm finding a lot of conflicting information.  I saw a thread (I think it was on this forum) a few hours ago regarding EU regulations that I wanted to come back to, but darned if I can find it again.  If anyone can point me towards accurate information for Canada, it would be most appreciated.  Also if it's possible, what's a fair price?

As far as I know, you can't legally sell those licenses but you can transfer ownership, under certain circumstances. See here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/manage-licenses/transfer-ownership-licenses

Your best course of action would be to contact Autodesk to find out what you can or can't do legally.

• Like 1

There is 0.000001% chance that Autodesk is going to activate those seats for anyone other than the owner. 

The only chance AFAIK, is for the remaining owners to sell the business (even if the only assets are these software licenses) to someone else, and even then I don't think it would fly.

What's that? They have some value and you feel like this isn't fair?

Well, join the club of many other perpetual seat owners who have been forced to go to rental. Rental is where it's at as far as Autodesk is concerned. They want every license to bring in income, every year. Those old perpetuals no longer do that.

But as @Cad64 said, you are barking up the wrong tree asking us - the only entity that matters is Autodesk. You should ask them.

Good luck and report back your findings so we can all learn. Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks so much guys.  I think the link Cad64 provided was what I needed.  Based on that, seems they're out of luck.  Looks like selling the business wouldn't work because I don't think they were on a maintenance plan.  I'm not sure of the facts, but think they just purchased additional licenses every few years.  The heavy users got upgraded to the latest, and the light users got their leftovers.  I vaguely recall moving some licenses around when new computers were purchased.

As far as I can tell while decommissioning these computers, the 2019 licenses were never installed anywhere.  I see older licenses, from 2015-2017, and even one from 2010, but no 2019s.  I do see the 2019s when I login to Autodesk, but don't see the older ones which I thought I used to.  Still don't know what the deal is with them, but it looks like it's not worth figuring out anyway. 

I obviously don't know much about this, but it looks like they have 6 totally unused, never installed, 2019 licenses that they can't do a thing with.  Can't believe that's legal!  Like buying a new car, never driving it, and told it's illegal to sell.  Wow, just Wow.  If anybody has any suggestions I can take to the remaining owner, I'll pass them on.  Thanks again, your insights were much appreciated

Best regards from Canada!

I was just reading:  https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/users-software/manage-licenses/transfer-

perpetual-licenses  contained within what Cad64 provided.  It kind of refreshed my memory a bit because this is what I used to shuffle

licenses around years ago.  Question is: what was "Public Export" used for?  Scary bit is "If you don't import your license to

another computer within 14 days, the export becomes public."  I think I moved older licenses to the via private export and just

assumed if a new employee came in, that old license would be sitting there available to installed on his computer.  I don't recall the

14 day thing.  Did I goof?