How can I elevate a polyline to a 3D surface?

Lecso

How can I elevate a polyline to a 3D surface?

My problem is the following:

I have a 3D surface of an existing property with accurate elevation data. I also have a 2D map of the roads witch are crossing this land. Both of the two maps are accurate in x,z coordinates, so right now the road map is under the 3D surface, since it has no elevation data. I would like to smooth the road on the 3D map somehow, so I can get a complett 3D map of the area. I also want to check the maximum elevation of the road. Thank you for your help!

• Cad64 changed the title to How can I elevate a polyline to a 3D surface?

Unfortunately the answer I did was like 30 years ago now, if the surface is 3d faces a TIN, then you can work out a 3d poly that intersects the face lines, that is how the likes of civ3d does it.

There are free TIN lisps out there that will do what you want. search here for one by YMG I think section lines was in it.

Ps post a dwg. It may just be quicker open in CIV3D and export to surface and send back.

Thank you Bigal for your answer and for your help. To be honest I started useing C3D becouse of this project, before that I only used the normal 2D cad. I will try your solution.

The dwg is too big to upload here, so you can find it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K6Y2PZ-K74tzEa0N7DdqQJ5_b_XlPjHb/view?usp=sharing

The road is on the "road layer"

Thank you your for help.

The only object on layer ROAD is a block and I am struggling to find it within your survey area. I inserted it again and  so it does exist. Played and moved a pline over your survey but it does not match the lines there.

Anyway if you want a road to match the surface I use Civil Site Design  a CIV3D add on and depending on accuracy would just use normal cross sections spacing and make design levels match the surface. So get all levels. If I want tighter model then would do say 1m spacing.

There is also the ability in CIV3d to drape a pline onto a surface, so again the more segments the more it reflects the shape of the surface. Projecting 2D line or polyline onto Civil 3D surface | Civil 3D 2019 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1