Hardware Choice

Bill Tillman

Can the newer tablet computers handle AutoCAD? Most of my work is in 2D but I will always need 3D and rendering capabilities. So should I stay with desktops?

Anything that can run Windows can run AutoCAD. From that point it's a sliding variable scale with a lot of factors.

By "tablet" computers, do you mean notebooks/laptops?

We run Civil 3D with fairly complex 3D models as backgrounds, on primarily laptops.

The guys where I worked were being pushed to go to HP tablets testing showed not as fast as there older desktops, a corporate decision every one to have tablets, idea is so can take to meetings etc 

Oh I am sure I can spec out a laptop that will have NO issues with any 3D software. It won't be affordable nor will it be very upgradable except for ram and hard drive ;)
Each user's needs are different. I'd never go laptop as a main machine but that's just me.

15 hours ago, BIGAL said:

The guys where I worked were being pushed to go to HP tablets testing showed not as fast as there older desktops, a corporate decision every one to have tablets, idea is so can take to meetings etc 

G0d forbid they use a paper notepad or a cheap Chrome tablet or Chromebook. :rolleyes:

I my opinion this is a great, inexpensive "companion product".
Lenovo Duet

Under $300 with the keyboard and the "pencil" is another $40. MORE than enough to type notes, view MS office files, it can even run AutoCAD for Web and SketchUp for Web.
Good enough to use every day for their intended purpose and inexpensive enough that they are replaceable if damaged in the field.

f700es something like 1000 pc's in organisation. Buy price is at high end dealer level, like 40% off rrp. Emphasis on paperless office. 

Laptops are ok can even have up to 3 screens connected. With ssd, 16+ ram, I7, good video, 17" screen, pushing $2000 AUS.