• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_O'neill

• uddfl

• f700es

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A number of new-to-me CAD programs have been mentioned here lately including DoulbeCAD, progeCAD, Bricscad and ZwCAD. It appears all of these are based upon IntelliCAD. When one visits the IntelliCAD Technology Consortium website and clicks on Commercial Members one will see Bricscad, progeCAD and ZwCAD listed. Why so many flavours and are the products really that different from each other? Curiousity killed the cat.

Hey, everyone. I'm the Product Manager for the DoubleCAD product, and I just wanted to note that DoubleCAD is not based on the IntelliCAD code base. We use our own internally developed CAD technology. We have taken a slightly different tack than the IntelliCAD products in that we are not trying to develop a "clone". Rather we are building a "work-alike" which has a similar but not identical appearence and work flow. The idea is to make transition to DoubleCAD easy without being tied down by every design aspect of AC. This gives us an extended capacity for innovation where we feel we can add benefits for the end user's productivity.

A number of new-to-me CAD programs have been mentioned here lately including DoulbeCAD, progeCAD, Bricscad and ZwCAD. It appears all of these are based upon IntelliCAD. When one visits the IntelliCAD Technology Consortium website and clicks on Commercial Members one will see Bricscad, progeCAD and ZwCAD listed. Why so many flavours and are the products really that different from each other? Curiousity killed the cat.

Thanks for posting. I have only played with your product a bit but so far I have not had any issues. Sure it works differenlty from what I am used to but that is not always a bad thing. I am liking the layout.

DoubleCADXT.jpg

Hey, everyone. I'm the Product Manager for the DoubleCAD product, and I just wanted to note that DoubleCAD is not based on the IntelliCAD code base. We use our own internally developed CAD technology. We have taken a slightly different tack than the IntelliCAD products in that we are not trying to develop a "clone". Rather we are building a "work-alike" which has a similar but not identical appearence and work flow. The idea is to make transition to DoubleCAD easy without being tied down by every design aspect of AC. This gives us an extended capacity for innovation where we feel we can add benefits for the end user's productivity.

Bricscad is also a different code base at this point but still very compatible even taking the lead in Open Design Alliance in ways and Progecad continues innovating too..

zw is not bad either, very stable and snappy fast

• 2 months later...
I'd like to hear more about the Free or Pro version of DoubleCAD from AutoCAD users who have tried it.

f700es, have you reviewed it any further?

Not much but from what I do use it, it worked very well. Not bad for free :wink:

• 9 months later...

I have tried the DoubleCAD, works great, pullled up autocad drawings without problems. I was wondering if add-ons like a surveying package could be added or what language would be used to creat one if possible. Always looking for alternatives for the high dollar programs.:lol:

Hello,

I work for IMSI/Design. We are looking at introducing plug-ins for DoubleCAD XT and our XT Pro version 2 includes an SDK to further extend its capabilities. More information to follow once we release.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I'm reviving this thread so we can have updated talk about this program. I've heard a lot of good things about it from AutoCAD users (who are or have migrated to a more affordable alternative) and SketchUp users (who need a 2d drafting companion). I am both at this time.

I just downloaded DoubleCAD last night (free version with 30 days of Pro features) and plan to play with it in the next few days. At first glance, the UI is quite similar to the basic AutoCAD interface and many commands are the same.

I will try to prepare a set of construction documents (from another existing set of cad files) and see how I fare. I will make note of the time it takes, what gives me a problem, what's better than AutoCAD, and what I like and dislike.

I'm pretty sure that my biggest issue in switching from 13+ years of AutoCAD operation to a different drafting platform will be my heavy use of AutoLISP. Almost every command I issue in AutoCAD is LISP based, and I have tons of functions for many different tasks. I would love to hear what other uses have done to overcome the inability to use LISP when changing to a different program (or to AutoCAD LT for that matter). The good news is that I see that DoubleCAD now supports Ruby programming which I intend to learn anyway for use with SketchUp.

Your replies will be much appreciated.

BricsCAD supports Lisp routines. It doesn't have a VL IDE, the (command... ) function works a little bit different and also the ARX is replaced, but it is better than nothing.

Thank you, fuccaro. BricsCAD will be the next program I check out. The "Classic" package costs $395 and I believe it does support LISP.

I did some brief editing of a file in DoubleCAD --I spent 10 minutes-- and did not get much done. First problem was object snap. I often type "END", "PER" etc. for which I did not find an equivalent. It only uses running object snap settings it seems. I had a hard time trying to offset an xline and though the offset command was just crazy, but soon realized that xlines cannot be offset... lol

Thank you, fuccaro. BricsCAD will be the next program I check out. The "Classic" package costs $395 and I believe it does support LISP.

I did some brief editing of a file in DoubleCAD --I spent 10 minutes-- and did not get much done. First problem was object snap. I often type "END", "PER" etc. for which I did not find an equivalent. It only uses running object snap settings it seems. I had a hard time trying to offset an xline and though the offset command was just crazy, but soon realized that xlines cannot be offset... lol

Actually, you can offset xlines in Doublecad, it's just does it wierd. If you click on the xline flyout, there is a button for offsetting xlines. Hit that button, then click a spot on the screen. Enter your offset distance, then pick the xline you want to offset, followed by a pick in the direction you wish to offset. This same command will also create an xline at the offset distance you choose from a standard line as well.

Oh, and I forgot. You do have keyboard options to running osnaps as well. You'll find them listed in the pull down menu called "Modes" then "Snaps"

Actually' date=' you can offset xlines in Doublecad, it's just does it wierd. If you click on the xline flyout, there is a button for offsetting xlines. Hit that button, then click a spot on the screen. Enter your offset distance, then pick the xline you want to offset, followed by a pick in the direction you wish to offset. This same command will also create an xline at the offset distance you choose from a standard line as well.[/quote']Got it. That is weird.

Oh' date=' and I forgot. You do have keyboard options to running osnaps as well. You'll find them listed in the pull down menu called "Modes" then "Snaps"[/quote']Thank you so much. I found them and I also found that you can assign keyboard shortcuts (aliases) to them on the Tools>Customize> menu, which I always wanted to have in AutoCAD. Then I noticed that when you enter the snap shortcut it will not accept it unless the desired snapping point is within the aperture. Idiosyncrasies of the program, I guess, which I can respect and get used to. Like the circular aperture "box"...

I kinda like the round aperature. There are things about Doublecad that I like, and there are some that I don't. I haven't used it much, just enough to get familiar with it. I keep intending to set down with it and redraw a job I've already done in Autocad just to learn it, but life keeps getting in the way. Until I have it firmly in hand, I don't want to say anything negative about it. It might be the best thing since sliced bread for all I know. I do like it better than Sketchup by a long shot, but I've used Sketchup even less than Doublecad. I think I expect too much from Sketchup and get annoyed with it too quickly because of it.

At any rate, if you run into trouble with Doublecad, give a yell. I'm no expert by any means, but I have played with it some. I don't have the Pro version, just the free one but if I can help you figure it out I'd be happy to do so.

Thank you very much, Jack and Fuccaro for your assistance.

Sure, there will be good and bad things about any piece of sofware. In all fairness though, for a free program, it is amazing what they've put together with DoubleCAD.

About Sketchup, I only use it, well... for sketching. I think it's a great complement for the straight drafting packages. A thing of beauty for it's price as well. It is so user friendly that it took me only a few hours to attain good command of it.

Thanks again for the help, and I will continue to play with DoubleCAD and learn a little more. Although based on my findings it's looking like it's going to be BricsCAD in the end.

Dassault Systems (makers of Silidworks), has recently come out with an AutoCAD look alike they call "DraftSight" It is also Free...

I have tried it and was really impressed how AutoCAD like, (well the old CUI), it was.

I would certainly use it over DoubleCAD

dss_draftsight.jpg

KC