Looking for "budget" AutoCAD alternative.

Amaril

I'm looking for an architectural drafting tool to replace my old AutoCAD 2000 LT that I've been using at home for years. Some day I might be in a position to shell out $1200 for the latest version of LT, but not at the moment. Here's a list of things I'm hoping to find in a replacement product:

1. Compatable with Windows Vista.

2. Compatable with AutoCAD dwg files. (Must be able to open and modify these files. Having to convert them into another format is fine, so long as the software includes the tools to do that.)

3. Have a robust 2D drafting toolset, comparable/similar to AutoCAD LT.

4. Have architectural notation tools, comparable/similar to AutoCAD LT.

5. Basically have what it takes to draw up sets of construction documents for home renovation projects. Nothing fancier than that.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, they'd be much appreciated!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• JCADEnthusiast

Check the Catch All forum. You may have to go back 3 or 4 pages. I posted a three part listing of CAD software all dated 12th-Dec-2007. Maybe there is something that will peak your interest. The three threads start with the words CAD software other than AutoCAD.

I briefly checked out the DoubleCAD website. They have a XT and XT Pro version. XT is free to download and is fully functional (including printing). The XT Pro version is $695 (U.S.) and comes with one year of free support. Both seem to be pretty good deals for those with no budget or a limited budget.

Yeah the DoubleCAD XT lite is not bad for free. You can also use it for commercial use is nice too. It is slow to load. Slower than Acad-2009 on my machine.

• 4 weeks later...

Amaril, here is a check-list you might want to go through if you are looking for the autocad alternatives:

***** autocad lt

***** solidworks

*** microstation

*** revit

** turbocad

** archicad

** vectorworks

* pro e

* architectural desktop

* inventor

* autodesk

* 3ds max

* hand drafting

autocad lite

sketchup

adt

autocad mechanical

chief architect

if you know more, please suggest!

Oh my Spam, I like how they have several repeted ;)

Nice :lol:

Amaril, here is a check-list you might want to go through if you are looking for the autocad alternatives:

***** autocad lt

***** solidworks

*** microstation

*** revit

** turbocad

** archicad

** vectorworks

* pro e

* architectural desktop

* inventor

* autodesk

* 3ds max

* hand drafting

autocad lite

sketchup

adt

autocad mechanical

chief architect

if you know more, please suggest!

Some of the "suggestions" would not be suitable replacements for LT as far as cost/features go. Could you see someone switching from LT to Inventor given the parameters listed by the OP? As that guy in the Bob's Furniture ad would say, "I doubt it!"

Some of the "suggestions" would not be suitable replacements for LT as far as cost/features go. Could you see someone switching from LT to Inventor given the parameters listed by the OP? As that guy in the Bob's Furniture ad would say, "I doubt it!"

right, those are alternatives to "autocad". Current list of alternatives for "autocad lt" is much shorter :(

***** autocad

** turbocad

* autocad full

Equivalent programs to AutoCAD LT would be (excuse me for repeating some):

DoubleCAD

ProgeCAD

ZwCAD

IntelliCAD

TurboCAD

SmartDraw (long shot)

Alibre Design Express

CADvance

EasyCAD

Solid Edge 2D

Equivalent programs to AutoCAD LT would be (excuse me for repeating some):

DoubleCAD

ProgeCAD

ZwCAD

IntelliCAD

TurboCAD

SmartDraw (long shot)

Alibre Design Express

CADvance

EasyCAD

Solid Edge 2D

I hope your suggestions are serious. I put them on my web-site to share with others. Thanks!

right, those are alternatives to "autocad". Current list of alternatives for "autocad lt" is much shorter :(

***** autocad

** turbocad

* autocad full

An alternative to "AutoCAD LT" is Not "AutoCAD" or "AutoCAD Full". those are the full blown $5,000 versions of LT. Notice in the topic posted by the original poster he said "Budget" alternative.

Spammer. Get this guy outta here someone, lol.

They are serious. I wish you had stated your intended purpose however as there is more to it than meets the eye. Some of the above are actually free. Do you know which ones?

The above also represents one man's opinion. Others may disagree with my choices or have other suggestions. Again, you were less than forthright. If I see you post another thread I'll be less inclined to answer your question.

An alternative to "AutoCAD LT" is Not "AutoCAD" or "AutoCAD Full". those are the full blown $5,000 versions of LT. Notice in the topic posted by the original poster he said "Budget" alternative.

Spammer. Get this guy outta here someone, lol.

And AutoCAD and AutoCAD "Full" would be the same thing.

http://www.punchcad.com/

PunchCAD is another alternative