Looking for "budget" AutoCAD alternative.

Amaril

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• JCADEnthusiast

Sean: If you give demo a try, please let me know what you think of it. I'll have to download this DoubleCAD XT and test it, thanks.

I will let you know what I think.

I downloaded DoubleCAD XT from their website and tried to install it, but my virus protection (F-Secure) alerted me that there's is a trojan in the install package, Trojan.Win32.Buzus.dmpu.

So I decided not to try it out :)

Well not sure about that as trend-micro did not detect one for me a few months ago when I tried it but I do get this error message after installing Jcad...

jcad.jpg

Well post when it's fixed and I'll try again. I like to try new apps to see if they might be worth passing on to others that don't need full ACAD or can't afford it.

Could you tell me some specific information so I could determine whats wrong, I cannot reproduce the error:

- Did you install JCAD tabula in it's default folder? C:\Program Files\Jidea Oy\JCAD tabula?

- How many files there are in JCAD tabula install folder? Should be 425 files and 7 folders

- Is the file EKAG20NT.EXE in that folder?

- Did you install it to the computer mentioned in your computer details ( WinXP, AMD Athlon64...)

I'd really appreciate if you could post those details.

Yes, I let it install in the default folder.

Not sure as I uninstalled it this morning but I can re-install at lunch as I think I saved the install files.

Yes, it is installed on this PC (my work PC) I might try it this evening on my home PC.

Could you tell me some specific information so I could determine whats wrong, I cannot reproduce the error:

- Did you install JCAD tabula in it's default folder? C:\Program Files\Jidea Oy\JCAD tabula?

- How many files there are in JCAD tabula install folder? Should be 425 files and 7 folders

- Is the file EKAG20NT.EXE in that folder?

- Did you install it to the computer mentioned in your computer details ( WinXP, AMD Athlon64...)

I'd really appreciate if you could post those details.

This is the first time that we encounter this problem, so I would really like to find out what is wrong with it. I tried installing it to several computers here at the office, but could not reproduce the error you got. I will keep trying... :)

Thanks for all the effort, I really appreciate it!

• 1 month later...

You should try ARC+ EXEcutive 2010. The PRO edition is for 2D while the SOLID edition is the PRO + Solids, programming, etc. It has a very friendly user interface and you can type commands the way you do with AutoCAD.

The difference between ARC+ EXEcutive 2010 and the other AutoCAD clones is that it is based on ODA (Open Design Alliance) which is a respectable DWG consortium. It is fast and can handle large files.

The ARC+ EXEcutive application is provided by ARC Technology, the developer of ARC+ (a robust architecture CAD).

You can check ARC+ EXEcutive at their website: CADexecutive. You can download the software and use it (without printing or savings) or activate for 30-day no obligation trial.

The next time you post something similar it might be a good idea to include a web address. OK?

For anyone interested, after a bit of sleuthing, I located the web site. If you cannot read French then look in the upper right-hand corner to the right of the word Login. If you click the down arrow next to the word French and pick International the site will come up in English. Four other options are also available.

A link:

http://www.arc-techno.com/

I did not bother to check pricing options.

Since I'm new in the forum, it doesn't let me post a URL (for fear of spam) - sorry, but I wanted to. I'll try to write it in another way to help you, if you want to check it out:

The website for ARC+ EXEcutive is: cadexecutive dot com. Arc Technology is the maker but CADexecutive distributes it.

• To download the software, check the Downloads menu.
  • To check prices/order, use the Order menu.

If you need more than one license, they have a 5 licenses package for the price of 3. I'm not sure for how long they are going to offer it. Also they offer maintenance that includes "free" future upgrades, as long as you keep your maintenance subscription.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To my knowledge AutoDesk, the software developer, only offers full AutoCAD and a pared down version called AutoCAD LT. There is no software called "AutoDesk". The two pieces of software do have some differences. The main one is no support for AutoLISP in AutoCAD LT. Viewing a comparison matrix of the two programs may be of some value to anyone contemplating the decision to pick one over the other. One other huge factor is the price difference. Full AutoCAD retails above $3500 while it has been possible at times to purchase LT for as little as $695. Also, LT is considered to be strictly 2D although one can read a 3D drawing in LT but cannot make substantive edits to it if at all.

AutoCAD vs AutoCAD LT comparison matrix:

http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad-lt/compare/

Other AutoCAD alternatives are also available. Try Bricscad, totally DWG compatible and very good price.

I downloaded Bricscad demo a few days ago, and I really like it. I'm adding another workstation soon, and at first I thought I'd put LT on it, but now I'm thinking Bricscad is what it will be. I haven't tried ZWcad yet, but I will take a look at it too. The Bricscad version that suits my needs is half the price of LT and has a lot more functionality. All of my current lisp routines work in it. Haven't tried the VBA stuff since the demo doesn't include vba support, but I really don't think it will be any problem to get it to work.

ZWCAD is a Chinese product. Some people might find that objectionable.

Another alternative for 2D-only work would be DraftSight.

ZWCAD is a Chinese product. Some people might find that objectionable.

Another alternative for 2D-only work would be DraftSight.

So is most of the stuff you buy in department stores these days.

My problem with it is that they don't have prices on thier website. You have to submit a form with your email address and phone number to 'ask for a price'. I don't trust companies that won't put their prices up. I can understand doing that if you are working with metals or other commodities, but this is a software download. Ain't gonna cost any more tomorrow than it did today.