Viewport issue

sinergy

Hi,
I am actually using Autocad Architecture 2021 on Windows 10, intel i7.
I created a layout/sheet to present the images in the model, the first viewport that I created there works fine. I then created a second viewport just on top of the previous one (as in the attached image)
The problem with this second viewport is that when I double-click on it (as in the second image) I enter the model space. There I can see a miniature of the image I am working on there
but as soon as I zoom in in order to focus on the part of the drawing that I want to represent in this viewport, the image instead of becoming enlarged, desappears for sight, no matter how small the
increment in size (through the zooming is), and don't have a clue on why this may be happening.
Could it be because I am overlapping two viewports?

viewports.png

viewports2.png

I try to avoid viewports on top of each other but an easy workaround would be to duplicate the layout deleting the larger viewport. 

Zooming to the area you want should be easy in the smaller viewport now then save the Model Space view. 

Go back to the original layout inside the smaller view and restore the Model Space view you just created and lock the viewport.

Delete the duplicate viewport.

I agree with Tombu about avoiding viewports on top of viewports. I don't know of any known issues caused by doing this, it's just my own personal preference. For something like this, I would create a polygonal viewport for my main view so I can create a space for my smaller viewport.

• Like 2

The modelspace objects are probably just zooming off to one side or the other. While you are in paperspace zoom in to basically fill your screen with the smaller viewport. Activate the small viewport and zoom extents to get you centered up again. Then use Zoom Window so your objects will always be in the center of the view after zooming.  It may take a few windows when you are that far away from your stuff.   Once you are closer in go back to the wheel. 

Make sure you are actually active in the correct viewport.  I don't completely enclose one viewport within another if I can help it just to make it easier.  You can use Ctrl+R to cycle through your viewports till you hit the correct one. But I simply drag one edge of the smaller viewport until it is outside of the larger viewport.   It doesn't matter to me whether it is dragged inside or outside the paper edge because I don't plot my viewport frame. Now I can click into and out of the non overlapping area without the viewport gremlins getting out of hand.  Then if I like, I can drag the edge back where my OCD is more happy with me :)   

If you use Ctrl+R, always type PSPACE or dbblclk out of the last viewport when you are done.  You don't want to leave viewports open.  Video memory is reserved for them and can affect system performance.

Edited by Dana W
  • Like 1

The command VPMAX will more or less full screen your active viewport for you, whether it is locked or not, enabling you to move around at will and edit stuff. 

VPMIN returns it to the previous sized view and previous locked or unlocked state.  None of the zooming and panning you do while in VPMAX does you any good towards improving your viewport "view".

While you are in a maximized viewport, you are pretty much in free modelspace. 

Edited by Dana W
new

1 hour ago, Cad64 said:

For something like this, I would create a polygonal viewport for my main view so I can create a space for my smaller viewport.

Using that in the drawing I'm working on now. Never had an issue that way.

• Like 2

The one situation that causes me worry about overlapping viewports is when neither has enough blank space to keep the model geometry from overlapping.  I go to an extra page for that one.  There's too much overhead in time needed to set up a screening mask or wipeout in modelspace on a special layer that only hides stuff in one viewport while being frozen in all the others.  Then suppose somebody else has to edit that sucker, with a giant invisible background color wipeout or hatch hiding half the universe. :danger:

Edited by Dana W
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

I have never found a practical way (even though I recently thought I had) to hide overlapping geometry in paperspace between two viewports 

16 minutes ago, Dana W said:

I have never found a practical way (even though I recently thought I had) to hide overlapping geometry in paperspace between two viewports 

PITA but used to do it years ago before polygonal viewports was an option. Haven't tried it since then.

There have been a few times in the past where I had to work on someone else's drawing and they had overlapping viewports with the viewport frames turned off. Their drawing filled the entire space within the title block border, so I double clicked inside the border to get into model space but was unable to select anything inside the smaller viewports. Talk about frustrating. I finally figured out what they had done but it took me a minute to realize there were other viewports on top of the main viewport. :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Polygonal viewports have been around for a long time now. There's really no reason for overlapping viewports anymore.

If sinergy wanted it to plot with that rectangle he could just draw it as a rectangle and freeze the viewports layer.

I have all my viewport frames on a layer with the plot icon clicked to "X".  Frames are sometimes nice to have but viewports never seem to fit each other, so I draw the frames if needed.  My prior office  standards didn't require any, but sometimes they help.  i got used to none so I carried it over into retirement for my own hobby templates.

• Like 1

Hi all
and thanks for your support.
I followed the suggestion about not overlapping viewports and using polygonal viewports, so my two viewports lay separate from each other.
Yet, the same thing (or very similar) keeps happening. I can enter the full model space and make changes, but as soon as I exit the viewport (by double-clicking on the space outside it)
whatever was in sight before desappears and the vieport window appears blank or just a miniature of the image is visible. .... Not sure I have been able to describe well what happens though.....

viewports3.png

I did not see move viewport to side do zooming etc lock and move back if must overlap. That is pretty simple or am I missing something. Never had problems with multiple viewports.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tombu said:

Try danellis suggestion, set UCSFOLLOW to 0.

It's the default setting but is set for each viewport. 

Maybe you have some code that modified it?

I did this too, but have not written any code that could modify anything (yet!)

9 hours ago, BIGAL said:

I did not see move viewport to side do zooming etc lock and move back if must overlap. That is pretty simple or am I missing something. Never had problems with multiple viewports.

@BIGAL, I am not sure that I understand what you write.

3 hours ago, sinergy said:

@BIGAL, I am not sure that I understand what you write.

BIGAL's simply stating that if you moved the viewport a certain distance to the right you would no longer have the issue of overlapping viewports. Once you had the viewport zoomed the way you like and locked just move it to the left the same distance to put it back where it was.

In options Display tab I've always kept "Display paper background" unchecked as "Display printable area" displays all that's needed without limiting drawing area.

BIGAL's method works best for all of us with the same display settings but I can see from the image you posted your settings add limits to the drawing area so it will not work for you. 

Personally I recommend setting your display settings same as ours as placing limits on what you can do in AutoCAD is counterproductive.

Edited by tombu

3 hours ago, sinergy said:

I did this too, but have not written any code that could modify anything (yet!)

Other than UCSFOLLOW not being set to 0 the only thing I can think of that could have caused the unexplained zooming is the double-click action. Next time try clicking Model on the Status Bar to switch to paper space.