Forum Upgrade (April 2021)

CADTutor

Hi All, there will likely be some dissruption to the forum this week. We are upgrading to the latest version of the forum software, and this will mean the forum will be closed for a few hours while the upgrade takes place.

Once the upgrade is complete, you may notice a few differences to the interface and there are also some new features. I'll provide more information once the upgrade is complete. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The upgrade has completed successfully, and the forum is open again. You will notice quite a few diferences in the user interface but I've tried to keep our theme as close to the previous version as possible. As usual, keep an eagle eye out for anything that looks unusual, and let me know in this thread if you spot anything that requires my attention. Other than that, enjoy the new version of the CADTutor forum 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cheers @rlx it's just nice to see the forum still thriving after so many years and despite the lure of social media, it still seems to satisfy an important need 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rlx said:

I think this site is not thriving despite but because of the lure of social media , but that's just my opinion 😁

I beg to differ with you.  CADTutor is thriving because of the perseverance, dedication and vision of David Watson who deserves our thanks.  So... "Thank you" David for all that you have done.

• Like 4

If you somehow got the impression I'm not impressed or thankfull for all of David's work , you're wrong. So let me rephrase : social media :twisted: , David good 😇. David, gives us a platform that doesn't care about race , borders , religion , IQ or whatever , just all people trying to help each other.

• Like 3

Thank you for all your continued work in keeping this place online David, it is tremendously appreciated - the forum feels far more responsive following the upgrade!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Lee Mac good to have the feedback - glad it feels more responsive. I think the developers have been trying to streamline the codebase and it seems they've been successful, despite adding new features.

• Like 2

CADTutor.net is the fastest CAD forum I am aware of.  The blasted Autodesk forums are so bloated and slow, and there is always something going on where you can't load photos, or the pages time out, or something.

It is a pleasure to come here and read or respond to a post and know that it just works, super fast on top of that.

Cheers to David and all of the members who make this place what it is.

• Like 3

Thanks RK, that's good to know. My view is that great content deserves a great platform, and this community certainly delivers on the content side.

• Like 1

BBCode is no longer supported on the new version of our forum software

Although the latest version brings a few new features to the forum, it has also dropped one of the longest standing features of forums, or "bulletin boards" (hence BBCode). Younger members of our community will likely have no idea what BBCode is, and if that's you, you can stop reading now. For those of us old enough to have been using web forums since the early days, it may just be a fond memory. In the days before WYSIWYG editors, BBCode was used to format text. For example, if you wanted text to appear bold, you could do [b]this[/b]. The syntax is similar to HTML but it places some load on the forum software because the BBCode has to be parsed by the software and translated into HTML so that it displays correctly in a browser. BBCode was introduced in 1998, and since WYSIWYG editors have now been around for some time, the developers of our forum software have decided that, as a legacy technology, BBCode support can be removed. In doing so, the software needs to do less work, and is therefore faster at displaying post content.

I suspect that most of our members haven't used BBCode for several years, but if you do, you'll need to start using the formattihg options on the editor toolbar from now on.

We lost BBcode a while back on another Invision forum I frequent. It only took a little getting used to not being able to use it anymore.

Admin can enable a 'Source' button on the editor toolbar (if they want to) so that users can edit posts in HTML instead.
(With restrictions of course, you don't want just anyone using HTML on your forum).
I've used it a couple of times in place of BBcode, usually to edit things like quotes when the standard editor isn't playing nice.

And yes the standard editor does have some quirks on this version of  Invision forum software. (Don't they always).

Here's an example of what it looks like in source mode:
image.thumb.png.44f7990b5f51da15e48a162bc5e02eb4.png

Edited by nukecad
  • Thanks 1

@CADTutorFirst off, thank you for maintaining this site.  I like the ease at which I can add images and files.

A minor note, I just posted some code by clicking the code icon at the top.  I noticed in the resulting display of the code that an apostrophe ' triggered a change in code color. 

3 hours ago, lrm said:

@CADTutorFirst off, thank you for maintaining this site.  I like the ease at which I can add images and files.

A minor note, I just posted some code by clicking the code icon at the top.  I noticed in the resulting display of the code that an apostrophe ' triggered a change in code color. 

Unfortunately, the default setting for syntax highlighting is HTML, but if you set it to none, it should be fine. I am looking for a way to change the default, but it appear to be not so simple.

I keep referring to CADTUTOR, when on the Autodesk forum have a problem they just say go on the correct forum and ask I think it goes to that round bucket next to my desk, so many times it just does screwy things. Keep up the good work. It recently used some one else's name for all my posts I had to fix not them.